Next step for more TBI power...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
add tune to that and ur good to go

Ok .... I see how the engine has the three taps - maybe ill pull the intake off my current block and see if mine is roller ready or not. I was thinking about getting a short block then build up from that (bore it out, pistons, etc) but maybe ill just see if mine is able to upgrade to rollers.... are the stock bottom ends able to hold decent power without any problems ? I am not thinking a lot, but maybe 300-400hp?

I have been calling around to junkyards around me and they all want $500-800 on a complete engine, they wont sell just a block :(

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Ok .... I see how the engine has the three taps - maybe ill pull the intake off my current block and see if mine is roller ready or not. I was thinking about getting a short block then build up from that (bore it out, pistons, etc) but maybe ill just see if mine is able to upgrade to rollers....

I have been calling around to junkyards around me and they all want $500-800 on a complete engine, they wont sell just a block :(

Well if your doing machine work, next time you phone wreckers, tell them your looking for a Core.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well if your doing machine work, next time you phone wreckers, tell them your looking for a Core.

I did say I was looking for a core, still same answer from 2 junkyards near me. I am going to pull my intake off and see if my block will accept the rollers or not, since I know what to look for now. To pull the intake I pull throttle body, distributor, unbolt, and pull off to see if its got the holes? Is there anything other then the 3 bolt holes that I need to look for? Should i replace the distributor while I have it out? I have no idea how old/mileage on this distributor is.

Reassembly is just make sure to remove all of the old intake gasket material off, put new gasket on, bolt intake back to heads, bolt throttle body to intake and hook up fuel lines and all that fun stuff - right? I am pretty mechanical so probably can figure it out once I start, it can't be that hard...

edit - I found a block near me on CL for $50, owner is not sure what year it is, other then its a 350 and is missing some external stuff so its not running, but block is good. Can you make older 350s roller ready or no?

Last edited:

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I did say I was looking for a core, still same answer from 2 junkyards near me. I am going to pull my intake off and see if my block will accept the rollers or not, since I know what to look for now. To pull the intake I pull throttle body, distributor, unbolt, and pull off to see if its got the holes? Is there anything other then the 3 bolt holes that I need to look for? Should i replace the distributor while I have it out? I have no idea how old/mileage on this distributor is.

Reassembly is just make sure to remove all of the old intake gasket material off, put new gasket on, bolt intake back to heads, bolt throttle body to intake and hook up fuel lines and all that fun stuff - right? I am pretty mechanical so probably can figure it out once I start, it can't be that hard...

edit - I found a block near me on CL for $50, owner is not sure what year it is, other then its a 350 and is missing some external stuff so its not running, but block is good. Can you make older 350s roller ready or no?
yes, you can put roller cam in a older block, but its expensive.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok - if its that expensive then maybe I will just pray that my block can accept rollers .... I am assuming the stock bottom end is ok for the extra power from vortec heads, rollers, and a mild cam ?

Guess I should say - my budget is approx $500-1000, wide range but that's over the next couple months...

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
ok - if its that expensive then maybe I will just pray that my block can accept rollers .... I am assuming the stock bottom end is ok for the extra power from vortec heads, rollers, and a mild cam ?

Guess I should say - my budget is approx $500-1000, wide range but that's over the next couple months...

oh gees, cause retro-fit roller lifters arent cheap

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...n-I/Link-Bar/Vertical/?keyword=roller+lifters

i would expect to pay more then $1000, it adds up fast, i have close to $3000 into my engine.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
oh gees, cause retro-fit roller lifters arent cheap

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...n-I/Link-Bar/Vertical/?keyword=roller+lifters

i would expect to pay more then $1000, it adds up fast, i have close to $3000 into my engine.

ummm yeah - I am definitely gonna pray that mine is good for rollers then .......

my budget of $500-1000 is just towards any upgrades, I am hoping to be able to do the atleast the vortec heads, cam, and rollers. I know all of that will get me closing towards the $1000, but the performance will be nice to have :)

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
heads are expensive, so you will be very close to the 1000 range, but the stock heads suck