Next step for more TBI power...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
heads are expensive, so you will be very close to the 1000 range, but the stock heads suck

thats what I have read - I first thought maybe a new intake, but then figured since I am going to the vortec heads I need to get a new intake anyways so no point in getting another intake for my stock TBI heads ...

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I keep thinking about the camshafts, wether to stick with the flat or go roller... I am not sure what part I should order first, I know I am going to vortec heads so think I am going to order them first - order intake gaskets so I can pull mine and see if I can use a roller cam or not. About how long does it take to pop the intake manifold off, 20minutes maybe? do I need to remove the distributor completely to look under the intake?

I have been looking at camshafts on Summit and curious on what is recommended (from what I read I will be able to keep the camshaft with vortec heads, can anyone confirm this?, if so I will order some vortec heads).

I read that the edelbrock 2102 - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-2102/ was a good cam. Anyone know if I will notice a improvement of power with this compared to the stock cam, and if its a good upgrade.

Last edited:

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have been told that the "rv cam" from autozone is a good cheap cam to run, its only like $100 too, ill have to find the link to the page i found that on.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
I'll tell you what I tell everyone else with a boat anchor under the hood......................mechanical advantage is your friend. You'll spend thousands on that ancient engine to gain 80 (reliable) horsepower when you could spend under $600 for a GOOD set of gears that would wake the truck up more than a 125 shot of spray ever would.

But what do I know..

1LEG

Reaction score
how many miles on your engine? I have never had luck putting fresh heads an cam on 150,000+ engine in a performance application. If you plan to keep the truck for a long time, it's better to save your money to rebuild or buy a new engine with the power level you want.

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
why would you buy another engine that's basically identical to his current 350, especially if his is roller ready?, from what i read TPI heads are not that great.

they aren't, been there done that. the best mod for street (heads wise is to get 1.6 or 1.7 exhaust valves, have them un-shrouded. leave the stock 1.94's in it. and she will pick it up quite a bit quicker. 1.94 are great for under 8K R's on the street, plus this mod should not hurt millage like 2.02 intakes will.

Last edited:

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
ummm yeah - I am definitely gonna pray that mine is good for rollers then .......

my budget of $500-1000 is just towards any upgrades, I am hoping to be able to do the atleast the vortec heads, cam, and rollers. I know all of that will get me closing towards the $1000, but the performance will be nice to have :)

PM me if yours isnt there is a motor salvage-er here close to me, in Hutchinson Ks I'll check his price on a block for you

P.S. 5.3's go for less than $1000, some with wiring and ECU, or just LT1 it like I did LOL

koke

Reaction score
I don't know if this thread is still open lol but i would suggest looking for a vortec block (96+) first of all, not only roller ready but roller equiped, second um heads?? third if you want to ditch efi anywhere down the road these blocks have the hole for fuel pump and pushrod, not just some hole like on the tbi blocks. you should be able to find one somewhere in the 100-250 range from a wrecking yard, so if you want to put some nasty cam in with close to the .500 lift mark all you have to do is cut the spring seats and throw on a carb :) as for your question with your tbi block being roller... i have built three now and havent seen a one!!