newbie question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyboy98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
im starting to rebuild a 350 vortec for my truck, can i sand blast, or bead blast my intake manifold to make it look new again? i woulld think that bead blasting with the glass beads would be fine if i keep away from where the gasket seats?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have bead blasted an intake before and yes it look's brand new. It's not shiny but very clean.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I've had the OLD old farts tell me that you should NOt glass bead an aluminum intake manifold. Has something to do with changing the molecular structure of the aluminum. Especially cast. Anyone know more?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I used aluminum oxide in my bead blaster, I have blasted a lot of stuff with that same stuff, but I have never used glass bead's, so I don't know about that.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had the OLD old farts tell me that you should NOt glass bead an aluminum intake manifold. Has something to do with changing the molecular structure of the aluminum. Especially cast. Anyone know more?

I don't know how it would change the "molecular" structure of the aluminum, Al is an element ...i.e. aluminum metal is only atoms of Al held together with metallic atomic bonding...its not a "molecule" at all, unless you're talking about the very thin outer layer of aluminum oxide (Al2O3), but thats just the oxidized layer of the aluminum.

however they may have been referring to the glass bead blasting being to harsh for the aluminum since its a softer metal, and easier to blow through if you're too agressive.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Based on Aloicious' explanation, I'd do it. I've done this before. But use a low air-pressure setting. I would rather spend the extra time at the lower presuure, than take a chance of F'n up your manifold. Tape off the gasket surfaces & anywhere else that you don't want glass entering.

The OLD old farts aren't always right. They have their myths & mis-information, too. Some of 'em are just crusty & grumpy. Can't tell 'em a damn thing.

(I can already hear the smart-ass comments comin'!)

chevyboy98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
kk sand blasted it today turned out awesome!!!! thanks for the info guys!