Newb Oil Cooler and Radiator Dilemma Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rogue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forum here, though I've read threads on here before I registered.

I have a 1997 Chevy K1500 5.7 L V8 that I replaced the radiator on today. It has both the transmission cooler and oil cooler on the radiator. I mixed the oil cooler lines up after I took the old leaky radiator out. Which one goes where on the radiator? Is the bottom line from the oil filter adapter/pump go to the top of the radiator plug? Or vice versa? Totally confused, and wondering if it even really matters.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Nathan

Rogue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bump...someone has to know, I can't seem to find anything applicable to mine on the internet!

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They usually just drop into where they should be. If it were me I would do the pressure hose on the bottom and return on the top.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I have a 97 C 1500 (5.7 L) with a factory tow package. I have a factory trans cooler and the one in the radiator as well. The trans cooler is just a loop system. It won't mater what direction the fluid travels. If you hook it up back words, it won't mater, it just makes a loop. Same for the trans cooler inside the radiator. You lines should fit best in the correct direction though. As long as it looks rite, you should be good to go.

SouthJerseySteve

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also a noob her but are certified mechanic with 30 years under my belt. Yes, the lines should fall right into place,, but it doesn't matter, as stated by kennythewelder, it's just a loop.. No harm done either way..

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also a noob her but are certified mechanic with 30 years under my belt. Yes, the lines should fall right into place,, but it doesn't matter, as stated by kennythewelder, it's just a loop.. No harm done either way..

Unless the cooler has collected crap on it and now you are back flushing it into your engine or tranny.