New with noob problems! (rebuild of 1997 5.7 Vortec with incompatible block?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
if the motor locked up it is really difficult to almost impossible to get to the torque converter bolts to remove it, i think that is what they meant not that the converter itself locked up

Ah. Got ya. I could see how that could be a problem.

Sent from Jolly Green's Droid

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
if the motor locked up it is really difficult to almost impossible to get to the torque converter bolts to remove it, i think that is what they meant not that the converter itself locked up

They would have still had to remove the transmission one way or another unless they just took the whole trans out with the block and put a new one in. So they could have gotten the TC out.

Jumpmastr82nd

Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys and I'll address this issue with the shop with some more confidence now...Still not convinced my engine block/head/trans combo is fully compatible or something. Like I said in my post the list of parts/ that coincidentally failed during the time it was in they're shop...or are currently failing.

First, driving the 250 miles from shop to where we are stationed the AC stopped blowing cold. I tried to charge it at home but the compressor/system wouldn't take it. The power steering pump was loud when I backed it out the bay and the mechanic that was backing me up said "its been a so long" and give it time to "circulate". Less than a week later, maybe 20% power steering, now none. Had to swap out my 33x15.5 to stock just to be able to drive in town. And now, 3 months later, I have coolant freaking leaking through the water pump...
Every accessory on the belt is dead, the oil filter relocation kit (standard on Z71) is M.I.A l, the starter (new as well) is tearing up the NEW flywheel bc its not either compatible or installed wrong. Both the exhaust manifolds have missing bolts and the flange on driver side has 1 bolt in it and no donut. Oh, had to buy a distributer too.

Is there a vortec engine/trans combo out there that requires a torque converter and flywheel to fit on Z71 4x4 Transmission?

Can an incorrectly installed engine belt cause accessory failure (like a tensioner)?

Any ideas for recourse?

I appreciate the attention guys. This forum seems legit, unlike some, and I'll get a profile going so I can be of use...

Thanks again

Last edited:

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Your best bet might be to contact the BBB about the shop. Whatever does come of it, I wouldn't let the same shop fix all of the problems. Take it to someone else who has good reviews and knows what they're doing.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys and I'll address this issue with the shop with some more confidence now...Still not convinced my engine block/head/trans combo is fully compatible or something. Like I said in my post the list of parts/ that coincidentally failed during the time it was in they're shop...or are currently failing.

First, driving the 250 miles from shop to where we are stationed the AC stopped blowing cold. I tried to charge it at home but the compressor/system wouldn't take it. The power steering pump was loud when I backed it out the bay and the mechanic that was backing me up said "its been a so long" and give it time to "circulate". Less than a week later, maybe 20% power steering, now none. Had to swap out my 33x15.5 to stock just to be able to drive in town. And now, 3 months later, I have coolant freaking leaking through the water pump...
Every accessory on the belt is dead, the oil filter relocation kit (standard on Z71) is M.I.A l, the starter (new as well) is tearing up the NEW flywheel bc its not either compatible or installed wrong. Both the exhaust manifolds have missing bolts and the flange on driver side has 1 bolt in it and no donut. Oh, had to buy a distributer too.

Is there a vortec engine/trans combo out there that requires a torque converter and flywheel to fit on Z71 4x4 Transmission?

Can an incorrectly installed engine belt cause accessory failure (like a tensioner)?

Any ideas for recourse?

I appreciate the attention guys. This forum seems legit, unlike some, and I'll get a profile going so I can be of use...

Thanks again

It shouldn't matter what engine you have as long as it was a vortec, which is what came out. Same with the torque converter and flywheel. The torque converter has to match up with your 4L60e, not the engine. Any torque converter labeled for a 4L60e should bolt up to your flywheel. There are exceptions to this I'm sure.

Maybe not incorrectly installed, but possibly the wrong size belt could cause that. If it's a bit shorter than it should be, that could put undo stress on components. I would think that would be a bit difficult to install though.

As Horns stated; go to the BBB and start there. IF the shop is not willing to do anything this is your best option. Beyond that I would track down a shop close to you that would be willing to look at it and diagnose these issues at little cost to you. If they do find some problems, then have them work on it. This would give them incentive to do it right.

DAGEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My God man im sorry to read all this crap your going thrue. Sound's to me like they are a bunch of highschooler's trying to run a buisness. Maybe they pulled all your stuff and just couble jobbed it together with junk? No way should you have this many problem's, the water pump is prolly loose from the block. Mine did that earlier this year, i took it off and replaced the 2 gasket's on it also.

Reaction score
no donut in the pipe.. I thought I was a hackjob... o.0 Hope your luck gets better and I'd suggest keep doing what you're doing... Questioning and learning... and getting grease everywhere.
BTW Horns, I fkn love your Rusty Junk sig

Last edited: