New to me 1998 Silverado Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dans94Chevy

Reaction score
Yesterday I bought a 1998 Chevy Silverado Z71. I pick it up for a $1200 because the PO told me the transmission wouldn't go into overdrive so I drove it home in normal drive and check the fluid.... added about 3 1/2 quarts because there was no fluid on the dipstick. Test drive it and it acted fine, shifts into overdrive just fine. So I'm just gonna drive it some more and see what happens. I plan to rebuild one soon. But I do have one question. I have read about pulling the #15 fuse for the driving lights so they don't come on. Well that was the first thing I did when I got home and they stayed on.... I have done it a couple of times and still stays on can anyone help me?? What else do I have to do??? I HATE DRL's lol I took some pics of the truck tell me what you think.

You must be registered for see images attach

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice looking truck.

Double check that you pulled the correct fuse. The first time I did it I pulled the wrong one an my parking lights didn't work.

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
Nice looking truck.

Double check that you pulled the correct fuse. The first time I did it I pulled the wrong one an my parking lights didn't work.

Yea double check for.the correct fuse... did that the other day myself lol...

How many miles on the truck? Looks like u got a good deal

Dans94Chevy

Reaction score
I meant to put the mileage. It's just over a 120k and as for the fuse I pulled #15 that says DRL/FOG on the fuse panel. I pulled a couple yesterday with no luck and again today but by the time I got home from work it was getting dark. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow during my lunch. Thanks for the compliments

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Welcome! Are you sure the lights are staying on? The indicator on the dash will still come on when you pull the fuse, but the lights should be off.

And look, somebody else has a white headlight knob! I was puzzled as to what in the heck could do that to my 98...I still am, but I know I'm not alone now! Though I have replaced mine.

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
:welcome: to the site!!!! I have a '98 also and I just pulled the fuse on mine and had no problems. Can't imagine why your's is still on.

Dans94Chevy

Reaction score
I am 100% sure they are staying on I did it with my dad and G/F watching and last night just to make sure they aren't blind lol. I am puzzled too. Another question I'm running 31x10.50x15 and my speedo is like 15 mph off. I know 31's aren't much different I'm height compared to the factory 265/75's have any idea what could cause the problem?? Thanks for any input. At certain speeds the trans hunts for a gear (shifting between 3rd and 4th and lockup) I have to manually put it in drive and wait till I get about 55 and put it back in OD. Any suggestions??

fattdip

Reaction score
Chris i think what causes it is the grey rubber that is on it eventually peels off it seems to be happening to mine now.