New to gmt400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turicum

Reaction score
Hi everybody

My name is Fabian, I'm from Switzerland and just bought a 1993 GMC Sierra K1500 with the 6.2l Diesel. A quite a rare car in Switzerland / Europe. Not a surprise, considering the car taxes to pay on a 6147 ccm engine...

In past I had a Wrangler TJ and I loved how simple this cars are to work on. Really roomy in the engine bay and great to learn about working on cars. After selling I started to miss the big engines of US cars and when I saw the GMC at the dealer and heard the engine running I had to buy her.

Lets have quick look at the up's and down's of my buy:

+ Frame looks solid, no major rust issues
+ Engine runs
+ Car is complete
+ Interior looks decent although very dirty
+ Glow-Plugs all good
+ Sound is absolutely awesome with stock exhaust :)

- Coolant low light is on, but reservoir is overfilled with water (?)
- It seems the rust protection on the underside is done the British way: heavy oil leaks. Really hard to tell where it's coming from, everything is a big mess. I assume the oil coolant lines (RPO V02), maybe oil-filter and oil pan gasket. Hope not the engine rear seal.
- Outside panels of the extended cab totally rosted
- very large paint chips and scratches all around
- Almost all light bulbs not strictly needed are missing
- Air Intake / Air filter is very oily and dirty --> probably new CDR Valve needed
- Window driver door is falling down
I'm quite sure there is more to come. State inspection in Switzerland is super strict. So first thing to address are the oil-leaks. Currently its dropping on the ground, a big no-no in the environmentally friendly Switzerland.

I already found many helpful resources on youtube an in this forum. Thanks to all of you sharing your knowledge and contributing to the board in past!

Greetings from Switzerland!

Turicum

Reaction score
:welcome:
Got any pictures? We love pictures!:pics-****:

Sure, I do:
You must be registered for see images attach

Waiting at the dealer for me. Good to see the large paint chip on the hood. There is a second one not visible from this angle. Also the door has some deep scratches.

Bringing the beauty home. Also the roof has seen better times and will be re-painted. Some rust above the windshield, but nothing to worry about.

Parking at home outside. Swiss parking lots are somehow small :rotflmao: