New Spider Injector now slow starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Classic-00-Crew

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, had fuel in the intake, rough idle and seemed like hesitation when up to cruising speed and trying to accelerate. Still drivable but just not right. Ordered a FJ504 and installed it with no issues. I'd had the heads off of this motor a few months back so I remembered how it all came apart and actually did the job right at 2 hours while on shift at the FD haha. Buttoned it all back up and it fired right up and ran like a champ. The next morning when I got off however it was slow starting. Probably took a good 2 seconds to fire then it stumbled to life. Seemed to run fine after that though. Now I have to cycle the pump 3 or 4 times before it will start normally. If I don't it takes forever like it did that first day. Am I to assume that I got a bad spider out of the box? Because obviously my pressure is bleeding off over the course of a few hours. It takes it 3-4 hours to bleed down to where its noticeable on startup. Another possibility I thought of was if I somehow knocked one of the o rings off the connections on the hard lines would that cause it? I assume there is a check valve up in the spider itself that should hold fuel in it even if I did lose the ring. I've looked and I don't see any fuel leaking externally so Im leaning towards the unit itself being bad. Also just a note, as of 3 months ago it has a brand new Delphi fuel pump and fuel filter. So with the exception of the lines the whole system is new. Just want a few opinions in case ive missed something obvious before I go to tearing into it again. Thanks!

Classic-00-Crew

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's your cam retard?
I don't remember the number but its set at whatever its supposed to be haha. A friend of mine had a snap on scanner that would read the CMP parameter. When I did the heads and put it back together a few months ago we got it dead on after what seemed like 30 minutes. That thing was finiky. It has ran like a champ up until the fuel pump issue 3 months ago. Replaced that with Delphi and it ran great again until I did this.