new old guy from NYC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
hey all, figured i'd introduce myself here.......my name is Bill and i'm a 50 year old biker. Got 4 Harleys now, an '80 shovel I built from scratch, an '84 softail with 246K miles on her, a '95 police Road king I just blew the motor on and the only new bike I ever own in 30 yrs riding, a 2015 FLD Switchback.

been in Chevy trucks for 35 years. I had a few K/5's...a '75, '78, '80, a 1986 GMC Jimmy, and my last K/5, a'90 Blazer that my seat went through the floor :hahano:. completely rotted.....pretty much all set up with a 2 1/2" all leaf suspension lift with 4.56s and 35's.......i'm on my way upstate to pick up my new 1997 rcsb 4X4 GMC Sierra, which is my first IFS rig.......had some pickups too, one a fantastic C20 Camper Special that I really liked.

going to go over the whole truck before I decide on the modifications I want. my brother's friend just did the body(new fenders, doors, cab corners and rockers with a rust free southern bed. transmission was rebuilt 2 years ago and now has new door panels......172K on the clock.......3.42's with an open rear. decent tires on stock rims. a good start in my book.....has a Vortec 350. the newest truck I ever owned.

this truck will be used in bad rain, snow, towing, carrying broke down bikes mostly.....otherwise I ride.

I have some things mullin' around my head as to what I want to do, but that's a bit down the road till I get this 100%. if I go with 33's i'll look for a sf 14 and do a 4" SAC up front, 0probably a Dana 44 with a selectable locker.......a receiver hitch in front, had one in back and a winch cradle with a 9.5 K and synthetic line........some smart lights.....I like low capable trucks, i'm more of the "Camel Trophy" truck mindset as opposed to "bigfoot"......got the truck for a great price for where it was and what it is.........that's about it for now.

You must be registered for see images attach

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
few more pictures from today after I picked her up......i'm VERY happy with shape she's in.....only thing off the top of my head is the tach doesn't work.

****....won't let me upload any pics...says security something

Security error occurred. Please press back, refresh the page, and try again.

gmcsb.jpg

and i'm not a tech guru

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
few more pictures from today after I picked her up......i'm VERY happy with shape she's in.....only thing off the top of my head is the tach doesn't work.

****....won't let me upload any pics...says security something

Security error occurred. Please press back, refresh the page, and try again.

gmcsb.jpg

and i'm not a tech guru

Welcome to the site! Don't sweat that security stuff, the site's servers have been acting strange the last couple of days.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
she has a K&N cold air setup, i'll get pictures soon.....and a dual exhaust exiting out on each side of the trailer hitch......breathing only throug cats. runs strong, tight as hell.......no rattles.....175K on the clock. tach doesn't work, but I saw it jump a few times and hover over 2K for half a second or so.......

the trip home from Utica, N.Y. to good ol' zoo yawk ****** is 248 miles and at 75 MPH yielded 14.96 MPG with some WOT passes. the truck does sound good, but i'm not sure if the exhaust is detrimental to the performance......transmission was rebuilt 2K ago and shifts very good, transfer case works fine, no issues. stops dead straight, but the pedal is real soft....lots of travel for the brakes to be effecting, but they work.

i'll be asking questions, mostly searching for answers to my question before I ask them. i'll add to this thread too