New member looking for a truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snrusnak

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post here. I am looking to buy a GM truck, as a daily driver. I have a 2010 ram that is basically perfect ocndition but racking up miles as I drive too much so I want to get another vehicle to drive daily and keep the miles off the ram (can't see buying a new truck in a couple years). I've always really been a GM guy. I'm looking for a 4x4, with manual transmission, and prefer a single cab and 8 ft bed. I think the TBI 305 and 350 were very reliable and decent on gas, is this correct? Anything to be aware of when looking for a truck? I'm not looking for a super perfect truck, but not a beater that is falling apart either. Hoping to just spend a couple thousand dollars... This will basically be to drive to/from work and running errands on weekends, but my ram is 2wd and I really regret that so I'm definitely getting a 4x4 for when I need it.

Thanks!

snrusnak

Reaction score
Thanks! So you are in NOLA huh? I'm just keeping an eye out for a great deal on a decent shape truck. Most of the ones on CL are just a little too rough around the edges for what I want. Good thing is I don't NEED it, so time is on my side.

Are there any things I should look for with this era truck? Certain years that have certain issues or anything like that? Thanks!

GaryCCR

OnlyBodyStyle enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, Jefferson Parish actually, but my Aunt lives in Biloxi.

I'm not a 4wd guy so I'm not sure what else to look for. The 4l60e is known in stock form as the best trans in the world so make sure there is no slipping, steering play, listen for motor noises the usual.

I'd keep a close on on facebook groups local and facebook, usually good deals don't last long. Have the money ready and when a good deal pops up, jump on it. Just make sure it's what you want.

snrusnak

Reaction score
agh....unfortunately (in this scenario) I'm not a participant of facebook :)

I'm sure something will pop up eventually... I found one in NOLA that is a gmc, 4x4, and 5 speed. Condition is OK, but a little rough. Is cheap though.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Ok, I'm nowhere near you, but am somewhat familiar with the trucks.

So, front end parts wear like mad on 4x4's.

Axle actuators like to fail, so make sure you really have a spinning front tire, not just low range engagement.

95's are a bit odd, in that they have newer dashes, but older engines. Alot of one year only part's on a 95.

Cab corners go, and are obvious, cab mount's rust on the frame side, and the rubber piece falls through, that's less obvious, it shows by the cab to bed body line, the rear of the cab will tilt down.

Fuel pump failure is almost always just around the corner with these, unless you replace it with a quality part, then it should last. People tend to cut holes in the bed to get to the fuel pump, then cover the hole up with a bed liner or rubber mat or whatever.

That's all the really comes to mind specific to look for. Then run well, and run forever. a half ton on stock-ish sized tires get's are 15 mpg or better in my experience, so decent mileage for a 4x4, they tend to run 300,000 miles without any real problems when taken care of decently and not overloaded.

snrusnak

Reaction score
Thanks a lot! That's what I'm looking for. Fuel pump is no issue, I had a 97 s10 and put about 6 fuel pumps in it until finally got a permanent fix.

I'm not familiar with axle actuators, can you elaborate a little? I've never owned a 4x4. Well, my wife now has a jeep but we have never messed with it as it's a 2013...

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Thanks a lot! That's what I'm looking for. Fuel pump is no issue, I had a 97 s10 and put about 6 fuel pumps in it until finally got a permanent fix.

I'm not familiar with axle actuators, can you elaborate a little? I've never owned a 4x4. Well, my wife now has a jeep but we have never messed with it as it's a 2013...

The front diff is open, and will send all the power to the side with the least resistance, like all open diff's. SO, GM unhook's one side of the axle to disengage the front. The driveshaft still spins, but it's not actually moving the truck, because that one side is open, so all the power goes there.

When you pull the lever, or push the button, that actuator moves a shift fork, and engage's the front diff. Now you're actually in 4x4. But people peek underneath, and see the driveshaft spin, or shift to 4lo, and it lurches hard from the lower gearing, and mistakenly assume they are actually in 4x4. Make sure you see that front tire spin, I park crabwise in some muddly dirt and floor it to see if the front tire throws mud.

Older trucks had thermal actuators, that have to warm up, so they don't go directly into 4x4 also. It takes a few beats for them to engage.