New here and have a question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
new dexcool is a different mix and not a problem but if your worried about it use prestone. Im one of those guys that think if GM put dex-cool in it and GM tells me to use dex-cool then im gonna use dexcool

NathanY

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no problem with DexCool, I just don't know anything about it. I don't want to have to do this again. This is not the factory water pump on this truck, and if the antifreeze did contribute to its demise, then I don't want to use it. I'm open to anything though. I am a firm believer in running what the factory runs. I run factory plugs, use the same brand and weight of oil that was in it when new, etc.

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have no problem with DexCool, I just don't know anything about it. I don't want to have to do this again. This is not the factory water pump on this truck, and if the antifreeze did contribute to its demise, then I don't want to use it. I'm open to anything though. I am a firm believer in running what the factory runs. I run factory plugs, use the same brand and weight of oil that was in it when new, etc.

The Dex-cool that caused problems isnt made anymore. the dex-cool made now is a slightly different formula that doesnt create the problems the original did. I wouldnt be afraid of dex-cool....

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
new dexcool is a different mix and not a problem but if your worried about it use prestone. Im one of those guys that think if GM put dex-cool in it and GM tells me to use dex-cool then im gonna use dexcool

im 100% with you. i only use what gm says to use unless i have proof something is better. the factory set these vehicles to run with the fluids they put in them. also its good to know about the distilled water. im gonna run that when i flush it next month

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
i use green Prestone. Had to have what I would call the "quick disconnect" on the bottom of the radiator replaced because it ate away the ****** pot metal it was made out of. Long story short, the truck was running warm and when I brought it to the guy that fixed it he said the radiator looked like babyshit on the bottom. He recommened using regular 'ol green antifreeze. Told me the whole story about how GM recommended the Dexcool years ago.