New from cali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Hey man. I understand lowering a 4x4 for performance reasons. There's 1200hp diesels with fiberglass body's tube frames lowered and still running 4x4. Those bad boys can hustle. Mid to low 9s in the quarter. Worlds fastest trailer tow? Lowered 4x4 dmax. Now lowering a
4x4 you intend to take off road......:nono: I mean look at subaru's. low to the ground. Awd. And they haul ass on rally races down dirt roads. All depends on intended usage. :cheers:

Tyler/T-Unit

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
If you want to build a hot rod style truck, based on the 454 SS, then check out this thread. It'll give you lots of ideas.

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?7585-454SSguy-buid-thread

Welcome, it's tough to build hot rods here in CA, but it can be done. Just gotta look around a bit. How long you been in for? I'm actually applying to OCS through the Marine Corps. I'm hoping to go out in January. I've been out there before, but didn't make it to graduation.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Welcome!
Like the idea of a lowered 4X4! There's a member here that has one pressurized!
I'm currently (slowly!) working on a customer's lowered '59 El Camino with a f/injected 383 & an AWD set-up.
He's using an AWD Astro van transfer case, which is the same as the Sy/Ty's set-up.

It's tough to build hot rods here in CA, but it can be done. .

Not trying to be a smart-A, but I thought that Cali was Hot-Rod Mecca, and would be the easiest place to build one.
Maybe I'm just old & jaded!

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Not trying to be a smart-A, but I thought that Cali was Hot-Rod Mecca, and would be the easiest place to build one.
Maybe I'm just old & jaded!

Yeah, but if you still have to smog your car (1975+), then good luck. I would say 80% of high performance cats or exhaust headers that I've seen are 49 state legal. If you look at anything in the performance market, they usually have CARB numbers. That's California Air Resources Board. If it doesn't have that number, I usually assume that it's not legal here. The restrictions are crazy.

Sure, if you're before 1975, then you're golden. Sure, there might be more classic cars here (we don't really have issues with rust), but that's the only thing that makes the car scene here better than anywhere else.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Ah, yea. Forgot about that C.A.R.B. stuff.
When I hear the term 'Hot-Rod', I think pre-'48. After '48 = 'Street-Rod'.
Went to Cali in '79 with a buddy in his '78 Z-28. That had a factory S-T10, plus he had added headers. Went to a couple of cruise-ins, & there was always a crowd around the Z. People hadn't seen a 'new' Z-28 with a factory 4-gear. Apparently, that was non-existant in Cali at the time. They were only available with an auto due to the C.A.R.B. reg.s. And then to have headers on it too, well that was outright bad-boy law-breakin' stuff! We were considered cooool! Lol!