New Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

domcan1000

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have been thinking about putting a new engine in my 93 c1500 RCSB. Currently, it has a 4.3l v6 in it. I would like to go v8 and was thinking about a crate. I am not looking for performance as this is not my daily driver anymore but I want something that will be reliable and I could maybe do some modifications to later down the line. I want to stay TBI and I have been looking for info on this swap but everything that I have found is either vortec or not exactly what I am doing so I have gotten nothing but confused. I know that I will have to upgrade the fuel pump and radiator but I am really not sure what else needs to happen. I don't want to spend a lot of money on it either but I can put it in myself as I have replaced the engine before. I have looked at some of the blueprints and the west coast engines as well as the goodwrench replacements from jegs.

I was looking at this one (https://www.jegs.com/i/GM+Performance/809/12681432/10002/-1) but have no idea if it will fit. I am really just looking for something that I can put in easily and be ready to drive without many problems.

Thanks for any help!

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the 4.3 to 5.7 swap and kept TBI. I can give you all the info. Lemme type it out. I’m at work so might take a bit.

Also that’s a vortec block. Which is doable but not as easy

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also that’s a vortec block. Which is doable but not as easy
A TBI intake manifold won't bolt up to the vortec heads. Chevrolet Performance makes one that will work but it's expensive. You'd be better off buying a 4-bbl manifold and a TBI adapter if you wanna go with that long block.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Things you’ll need:
-The motor (of course lol)
-V8 motor mounts
-Radiator, I believe I got a 34” 2 core.
-Radiator mounting brackets and bushings if you please
-ECU for a V8. (Maybe 6299?) If you’re lucky your V6 will interchange, I can get you a list when I get home. Most 5.0 & 5.7 ECUs are the same.
-Prom chip for your application. This is important. A lot of people skip this. You’ll need one for your engine/trans combo. This is hard to find at times. But eBay will be your friend. Or you can get a custom one burned. I recommend Dave at GearHead EFI.
-Your V6 harness will work the same, might have to extend some wires. Get new sensors if you can. I think some are different. Like the knock sensor.
- Y pipe, V6 will not work without some adjustments. Found it easier to just buy a new one.
- Injectors for your TBI. They are different from 4.3, 5.0, 5.7 and 7.4.
-starter for your V8, this sucked for me because I had a couple lemons before I got a good one.
-I also added a spacer while I was in there to help the fuel lines reach a bit better, since the 4.3 TBI sits a bit higher.
-V8 air cleaner. Don’t re use the dinky 4.3 one, you’ll want to move a lot more air through. You don’t have to use a stock one, I did because I wanted it to look factory.

Things you can re-use:
-4.3 accessory brackets
-4.3 accessories
-throttle body
-harness

There are some things I’m forgetting, I will think of them.

I got a 90K mile (allegedly) 350 from a Caprice and did a tear down to check everything. I paid $150 for the engine itself and it came with all the front end accessories, brackets, etc.

Gibson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The engine you're looking at is the GM code #12530282,, it has 2-bolt mains, uses the lighter duty 5/16 exhaust valve stems, and has induction hardened valve seats.
For only ~75 bucks more, you can get the heavy-duty engine, code #12530283,, and it has 4-bolt mains, the heavy duty 3/8ths exhaust valve stems, and insert hardened valve seats.
A much better engine for a truck, for very little more money.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can get the heavy-duty engine, code #12530283,, and it has 4-bolt mains, the heavy duty 3/8ths exhaust valve stems, and insert hardened valve seats.
Check their warranty, if the engine goes into a different application, they may not give you the 3 year warranty, might just be a 1 year.

domcan1000

Reaction score
I didn't realize it was vortec until you pointed it out. I would rather not do vortec and keep it similar to what I have now. I appreciate your info fancyTBI thats all very helpful!

As I mentioned, I really don't know what everything means and have been trying to research so I will take all of the help that I can get.

So would it be better to go with a crate or try to find a good used one?

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think TBI long blocks are $1800? Jegs has one for 1500 or so.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there are swap meets near you or reputable salvage yards you can always get them for less. But warranties are nice.