need some help getting the right part

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevydude1608

Reaction score
well the truck is a 98 half ton two wheel drive auto with the 5.7 started it up yest and immediately the check engine light came on and the truck was running like crap so i limped it over to my mechanics house. His scanner pulled a p1345 so we went into town and i bought a brand new distributor and crank position sensor we got them in and its been running a lot better but still throwing the code and missing every once in a while. i didn't know at the time you have to set the timing using his scanner so we'll get to that this weekend to. anyways when he we pulled the old crank sensor it was beat up a little on the back side and he told me that it looks like i need a timing chain. Ive looked at summit and jegs and honestly just dont know which one is the right one for my truck. when i type in everything it pulls up several different ones and i just want the stock one. sorry this is so long but i know you experienced guys need some background in order to help anyone.

milky9788

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And don't forget to replace the plastic timing cover and might as well replace the oil pan gasket because you have to drop the pan as well.

chevydude1608

Reaction score
lol new intake gasket and water pump about 20,000 ago all new hoses to but still losing some water somewhere and the oils not milky and the heater core isnt leaking so idk just add a little bit every couple of weeks

milky9788

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
lol new intake gasket and water pump about 20,000 ago all new hoses to but still losing some water somewhere and the oils not milky and the heater core isnt leaking so idk just add a little bit every couple of weeks

You might have the cooling system pressure tested. I'm glad to hear you already tackle the intake gasket, cause I caught mine a little too late and had to rebuilt my motor lol.

chevydude1608

Reaction score
yea thats what we did originlly to find where it was leaking from because i was losing a lot of coolant. ended up being at the backside of the motor where you cant see anything and the way the coolant ran down everything it would end up dripping to the frame and down to the ground near the bed of the truck so i never thought anything of a puddle that far back till we did the pressure test lol. idk im almost wondering if its a head gasket and its leaking into a cylinder but in the same token this thing never smokes and no fouled plugs or nothing. hardly burns any oil either so idk. after putting 4 motors in my first truck. I was 16 when that started lol i just keep and eye on the gauges and check things a lot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahuskwulf