Need help with 4x4 actuator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Just2Sweet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am trying to replace my actuator but I think I might have the wrong kind. Truck is a '97 K1500 with a floor shift 4wd, NOT the push button. I went to Advance and picked this up...

You must be registered for see images attach

So I'm looking underneath the truck trying to find the actuator (I have never worked on a 4x4 before) and I think I found it...

You must be registered for see images attach

Is that it, right in the middle of the pic? The reason I ask is that it looks nothing like the actuator I bought. I tried to remove it to get a better look but don't have the proper tools at my disposal.

I'm lost here. Help, anyone?

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I believe it is actually in the passenger side of the differential? I haven't had the joy of changing one in years.

k_pro1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats it. I dont know if its the same kind you had or not i had to go to the junkyard to get one for my 97 cause no parts stores could get the right one

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is the actuator in your picture. You have a thermal actuator and the new one is electric. I do think they have a conversio wiring harness for the swap

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the thermal ones take a cvnt hair longer to engage especially if its cold out..

if u have another vehicle take the parts with you to stores like that

also u can check to see if its the culprit by jumping a circuit to it off your battery..

its got two prongs for the wiring plug just touch pos/neg to them see if it slowly springs up

mgiht be a fuse

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I upgraded my stock 94 thermal one with a 95+ electronic one. Your 97 should have the electronic though, that's weird. See if the wiring will work with it...if not there's a wiring harness and spacer kit from Dorman to make the swap.

dvanbamer88

Reaction score
That is it in the picture. I replaced mine last winter. You do need a different part. I got mine at advance auto, 89 bucks maybe. You do need the thermal one, and as stated above, your new one is electric. I used a pair of channel locks to get the old one off, it's not that tight.

Also, i have a 97 and a thermal actuator.

Just2Sweet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ahhh ok, so I have the older thermal style. Good stuff, thanks for the info guys. Makes sense now.

I upgraded my stock 94 thermal one with a 95+ electronic one. Your 97 should have the electronic though, that's weird. See if the wiring will work with it...if not there's a wiring harness and spacer kit from Dorman to make the swap.

Yeah, after doing research I was pretty sure that my '97 would be electric, which had me confused.

That is it in the picture. I replaced mine last winter. You do need a different part. I got mine at advance auto, 89 bucks maybe. You do need the thermal one, and as stated above, your new one is electric. I used a pair of channel locks to get the old one off, it's not that tight.

Also, i have a 97 and a thermal actuator.

I had a dinky pair of pliers and they weren't cutting it, lol. I bought this electric one from Advance so I'll return it and hope they have the thermal style. Eventually I'll look into a posi-lok but I'll worry about that when the weather is warmer, in the meantime I just need the 4x4 to work before the snow hits.

muddy90chevy

Reaction score
does anyone know of any tricks to just eliminating the pos thermal actuator? ive seen some post on here where a gy used a 1" pice of pipe infront of the actuator doesnt sond safe for the front diff gears to me.