Need help mounting a winch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

891Ton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IDK what kind of winch you plan on using, but thats a heavy truck so im assuming your using nothing smaller than 9K. I can tell you that the factory bumper brackets are in now way able to support the wieght the winch is able to pull or the weight of that rig. So mounting it to the factory bumper is possible, but needs a lot of fab work to make it work right. If you are really set on using it, I would take it off the truck and make a heavy duty cradle just large enough for the winch and use two peices of 4" channel that will slide right inside your frame rails for the mounting points. You can bolt them or weld them in there. have them stick out enough to then weld a flat plate across them to tie them together and that will act as your platform for your winch. Then put your winch on it. Then put the bumper up to that and notch out the entire area as large as the winch right in the middle of the bumper. You can get away with leaving a bottom portion of it so it is all still connected. By doing this you can retain your stock bumper brakets in thier stock location and still mount the outer two. You will loose a good portion of the middle of the bumper, but if you dont make those peices of channel stick out too far from your frame rails you just have to trim a little grille and you can still tuck it in pretty good. This will work it will just take some time.

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
since this thread is already talking about it, is there anyone on here that can make me a front mount hitch that will allow me to keep my valance and just cut a 2" hole in it to slide in the reciever for the winch?

monical

Reaction score
To make the installation of a winch possible, a vehicle must have a suitable pullbar bumper and provisions for a fairlead. When purchasing a winch, it is a good idea to talk to your salesman and relate your intended use for the winch. Winches come in many different pulling strengths; you don't want to install one that is insufficient for the purpose, or too strong and costly. Winches all mount in a similar fashion, so compatibility isn't an factor as far as the pullbar goes; however, winches are heavy, so get a friend to help with installation.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Easy enuff.

Plate mount between the front frame horns/members, Mount winch above or below plate depending on if it fits between the frame rails/under rad support, then get creative with a fairlead arrangement.

Ideas:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

Google will turn up much more. Whatever you build, it must big big, thick and strong. A winch pull can easily top 10-15,000 lbs on a snatch and deep mud. Your welding must be "top notch" with full penetration and nothing less than grade 8 hardware will do.

For as to how to actually build it; you're only limited by your imagination, you skills and your tools.

or stick it out front:

Don't hit anything though.....$$$$$$$$!

Last edited:

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
since this thread is already talking about it, is there anyone on here that can make me a front mount hitch that will allow me to keep my valance and just cut a 2" hole in it to slide in the reciever for the winch?

Just head to your local rv dealer or truck accessory place and ask about a front reciever hitch for your truck, I know reese and hidden hitch both make them for our trucks.

Easy enuff.

Plate mount between the front frame horns/members, Mount winch above or below plate depending on if it fits between the frame rails/under rad support, then get creative with a fairlead arrangement.

Ideas:

You must be registered for see images

Google will turn up much more. Whatever you build, it must big big, thick and strong. A winch pull can easily top 10-15,000 lbs on a double snatch and deep mud. Your welding must be "top notch" with full penetration and nothing less than grade 8 hardware will do.

For as to how to actually build it; you're only limited by your imagination, you skills and your tools.

or stick it out front:

Don't hit anything though.....$$$$$$$$!

2nd and third pics look like they might be on gmt400s.

Warn used to make a hidden winch kit, a member on here has one actually, it just bolts up in behind the front bumper and the fairlead goes through the valance like the reciever hitch setup.

I plan on mimicing this setup on my K1500 by welding pieces of angle iron to an old winch mount I have and tucking it as high up as possible without impacting cooling airflow going through the diesel bumper. I also plan on relocating the solenoid pack to the left inner fender well to get it out of the same cooling hole area of the bumper and get it up out of hams way. If it goes as planned at the most I should be seeing up in those holes is the top quarter of the winch body.

Sent from a 6.5 Detroit Diesel powered smartphone