Need a suggestion on a scanner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

[email protected]

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is a good resonably priced scanner that I can buy to set the correct timing on my 97 5.7.
I do not know how to use a smart phone .
Thanks in Advance for the help
Almost done with my fixing of the 383 and the timing issue will be coming up
Skip

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to Auto Zone or one of those other places and see if you can borrow/rent one?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a Snap-On MTG2500. The MT2500 is similar, but more popular. You will need software cartridges suitable for the newest vehicle you're going to use it with, and the OBD-II connector and keys. The '2500 series support ended in 2009. Given the proper software cartridges and cables/adapters, you can use the '2500 from 1980 1/2--2009.

The Snap-On Solus, Solus Pro, Solus Ultra, and whatever else is in the Solus family are all newer than the '2500. Support for some of them has also ended. They'll be more-modern, but also more expensive.

OTC also has professional-grade scan tools. Some of them were sold with Mac or Matco branding off the "tool truck". OTC is a dirty word in my shop, owing to the way they've screwed me on a "lifetime" warranty claim. Ever since they got bought-out by Bosch, they've gone downhill.

The "official" GM tool would be the Tech II. I have no experience with them, except to know that they're actively being counterfeited by the Damned Communists. Beware.

There's a dozen brands of "consumer-grade" code readers and scan tools. Beware.

P.S. You're not setting the timing on a '97 5.7L. You're setting the cam sensor offset. Turning the distributor doesn't change the timing because the timing is determined by the crank sensor.

[email protected]

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a Snap-On MTG2500. The MT2500 is similar, but more popular. You will need software cartridges suitable for the newest vehicle you're going to use it with, and the OBD-II connector and keys. The '2500 series support ended in 2009. Given the proper software cartridges and cables/adapters, you can use the '2500 from 1980 1/2--2009.

The Snap-On Solus, Solus Pro, Solus Ultra, and whatever else is in the Solus family are all newer than the '2500. Support for some of them has also ended. They'll be more-modern, but also more expensive.

OTC also has professional-grade scan tools. Some of them were sold with Mac or Matco branding off the "tool truck". OTC is a dirty word in my shop, owing to the way they've screwed me on a "lifetime" warranty claim. Ever since they got bought-out by Bosch, they've gone downhill.

The "official" GM tool would be the Tech II. I have no experience with them, except to know that they're actively being counterfeited by the Damned Communists. Beware.

There's a dozen brands of "consumer-grade" code readers and scan tools. Beware.

P.S. You're not setting the timing on a '97 5.7L. You're setting the cam sensor offset. Turning the distributor doesn't change the timing because the timing is determined by the crank sensor.
That is the info I needed Thanks ever so much.I will start the hunt for one. Sorry about the term setting the distributer .