Need a couple of parts, don't know what they are called.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoneCynic

Reaction score
Okay, as the title states, I need a couple of parts, but I don't know what to search for to find them. I am going to describe in as much detail as possible what it is that I need, in the hopes someone here will know what I am describing. If necessary, I'll try to nab a couple of pictures later this week when it isn't pouring rain outside.

So, about my truck. First off, it is a 1991 K1500 Silverado, originally a 4.3L TBI V6 engine paired with the 5-speed manual transmission. However, earlier this year, the engine went bad, and I just ponied up for a swap to a crate 350 TBI 5.7L V8. This means that some of my equipment carried over, and some parts are 5.7 parts and some are 4.3 parts. Not a major issue, I know this is a relatively common swap that many of you are probably familiar with, but it is important to mention nonetheless.

Anyway, the starter went bad recently. I turned the key, single click, and nothing. So I went down to the auto parts store, and got one of the kids at the counter who just typed my info into the computer and ran to get a part off the shelf for me. Bought the new starter, got home, took the one off my truck (which was still the original factory one BTW) and the two looked nothing alike. I knew they'd possibly give grief if I tried the new one, only to find that it didn't work, and tried to return it, so I didn't even try the new one. I went back with the original one in hand (for the core charge) and told them that even though the truck had a 5.7 in it now, it was originally a 4.3, and had them search that instead. The one they brought out this time matched my stock factory unit I was turning in. They exchanged parts for me with little hassle.

Returned home, and the starter bolted right up, re attached the wires to the starter, then to the battery. Turned the key, truck started right up quickly, and has been running fine since then. However, I noticed two things while I was under there that gave me cause for possible concern, which brings us to my question. (I apologize for the long exposition, but I figured if you knew the trail of events that lead me here, it might make it easier to help me)

First off, the hole that the starter fits into is a bit larger diameter than the starter head. So, after the replacement install, I see that the first larger than stock starter might well have fit after all. This could be due to the engine swap process, or maybe it was always like that, I don't know. I read about things called shims in my research, but believed them to be used when trying to get the starter gear to line up with the engine gear properly. Mine bolted in and works fine, so I don't think I need a shim (correct me if I am wrong here). I am concerned that the small gap around the starter opening might allow dirt or moisture into that area and cause premature starter failure or possibly worse with the new part. Is there a part that can fit around there to close that gap? Or is it just something that I am going to have to fab up myself due to the slightly frankenstein nature of my truck as it is?

Second issue, there is a threaded hole on the side of the transmission that gives access into this same cavity that the starter and lower clutch parts attach into. It looks like there should be a threaded bolt or plug of some kind that goes in there to close that back off. Should be something simple to replace, but I don't know the name or part number to search for to find it. Again, the concern is road salt, dirt and moisture getting in there and causing problems, so I want to get that covered up ASAP.

I know this was a bit long winded, but I wanted to give as much information as I could so that someone might be able to help me with this. Thanks in advance for reading through, and for any help you may be able to provide.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Dont worry too much about sealing up the bell housing, it is designed to be open to the air. If you really want, you can get a dust cover for the starter opening and a bolt for that one hole, but again its not a big deal to have openings into the bell housing.

LoneCynic

Reaction score
Okay, thanks for the info. Going into winter, I was concerned that this could be an issue, but I guess it is nothing to be alarmed by.