Mystery oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mnguy55

Reaction score
I am stumped trying to find the source of the oil leak on my 93 K1500 5.7. The leak is from the passenger side rear of the engine. Mostly it runs down and drips off the starter but some runs down the bell of the transmission. The valve cover is not leaking and the distributer seal is not leaking. I've taken a flashlight looked but I just cant get in to see that area, even with a mirror. I'm thinking about buying one of those inspection cameras. The oil sending unit is on the driver side and as best I can see that is not the source of the leak. Is there any other possible source other than the valve covers, oil pressure sending unit, distributer and intake manifold? I'm starting to think it is leaking from intake manifold but I cant see it. Any thoughts on where it might be leaking?

tscherbi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It could be your intake manifold gasket on the back where the block, head and intake all meet. Ive seen those blow out. Just put a mirror and a flash light back there and look hard you will find a clean trail, where the oil has flushed away all the dirt and grime away, follow that trail up and thats your leak.