Mystery exhaust leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CarolinaOBS

ZIP TIES AND PB BLASTER
Reaction score
Just recently I've noticed a distinct exhaust leak "tick" coming from under the hood on the drivers side. I only hear it under acceleration, and it is quite loud because i can hear it over my loud exhaust. I have checked the manifold bolts and gasket-> good, down pipe flange-> good, and checked the manifold for cracks-> none to be found. So where the heck is it coming from???? please, any suggestions? 99 tahoe, L31 vortec.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Yes, best bet would probably to have someone hold rags in both and plug them up the best they can, because they will want to pop out. Just leave it at idle, and get under. Probably will sound more like a hiss Also, keep an eye out for spots that are black, telltale sign of a leak.

CarolinaOBS

ZIP TIES AND PB BLASTER
Reaction score
Yes, best bet would probably to have someone hold rags in both and plug them up the best they can, because they will want to pop out. Just leave it at idle, and get under. Probably will sound more like a hiss Also, keep an eye out for spots that are black, telltale sign of a leak.

Worked like a charm. Down pipe was leaking on driver side only when theres back pressure. tightened the nuts and went away. Thanks bro. I feel stupid :banghead:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: