Mystery brake rotors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hpoirier15

Reaction score
Hey folks, new guy to the group here! I just bought a 1994 c3500hd dually with a dump body. I am having a hard time identifying the rear brake rotors so that I can order new ones. The truck has four wheel disk. The pads on the rear have a metal bracket (part number MKD149) on the bottom that is supposed to ride in a groove next to the face of the rotor. All of the replacement rotors that I have found do not have this groove and make me think they wouldn’t work. Anyone know the part number for this grooved rotor or any advice on how to proceed buying new rotors?

Thanks

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hey folks, new guy to the group here! I just bought a 1994 c3500hd dually with a dump body. I am having a hard time identifying the rear brake rotors so that I can order new ones. The truck has four wheel disk. The pads on the rear have a metal bracket (part number MKD149) on the bottom that is supposed to ride in a groove next to the face of the rotor. All of the replacement rotors that I have found do not have this groove and make me think they wouldn’t work. Anyone know the part number for this grooved rotor or any advice on how to proceed buying new rotors?

Thanks
Many parts sites aren't good at differentiating between a regular 3500 and the 3500HD. Have you tried NAPA (napaonline dot com) - as they do have a specific choice for the 3500HD and you'll see 3 choices of rear rotors. Do any of those look like what you currently have?

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The pads on the rear have a metal bracket (part number MKD149) on the bottom that is supposed to ride in a groove next to the face of the rotor. All of the replacement rotors that I have found do not have this groove

I don't have an HD, but do know some details about them from reading about them over the years. I'm confused by your post after reading it several times. If the pads ride in a grove next to the face of the rotor, how would the rotor have a groove?

Are these your rotors? https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7539100&cc=1353114&pt=1896&jsn=1613

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The C3500HD brake calipers are by Bendix, not Delco like all the other GMT400s.

The front and rear brake calipers are like the old "Ford" calipers--high friction sliding calipers that ride on a tiny leaf spring and "support key", and retained by a large-headed Allen-socket bolt--not low-friction "floating" Delco calipers.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pads on the rear have a metal bracket (part number MKD149) on the bottom that is supposed to ride in a groove next to the face of the rotor.

You must be registered for see images attach

If the pads ride in a grove next to the face of the rotor, how would the rotor have a groove?
If he's talking about the "bracket" ON THE PAD:
1. It's not a bracket
2. That's the pad backing-plate
3. It doesn't go against the rotor, it locks over/into the caliper. Squeeze the pad over the caliper body.

The only other "bracket" I can think of on that system is the support key plus leaf-spring; it crams into place below the caliper on the steering knuckle, and is retained with a single allen-socket-headed bolt.

Page 5B2-6 of the '97 service manual. Perhaps another page on a different-year manual.

Last edited: