My second 89 Shortbox project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tx ! I wish it was easier to post videos....I fixed all the exhaust leaks and squeaks tonight (old original serpentine belt was trashed-terrible squeaking) ,,,she sounds solid now.. ...not like a tractor lol....

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tip for everyone ...So after I fixed the exhaust leaks I had to figure out what was the horrible deep chirping,chirp and occasional squealing sound coming from the motor. I listened and thought for sure it was the idler pully bearing. I swapped it out - no good still chirping . Then I figured I would go for the other smooth pulley near the alternator suspecting a bad bearing sound. Swapped it out - nope horrible noise still there . So then I started thinking it was the water pump possibly. My buddy is a GM line mechanic and after I sent him the video of the noises - he said he thought that was belt ????? Reluctantly I looked on the internet and found a guy who troubleshoots pulley squeaks or potential belt noises with water. So I got a sprayer bottle , filled it with water and sprayed-soaked the belt at the power steering pump while the car was idling and after about 10 successive sprays to my astonishment the noise TOTALLY went away . You would have sworn it was a bad bearing or bad water pump from the sound. After about 10-15 seconds the noise came back. Sprayed ,doused it again noise went away . So I got a new serpentine belt at OreillyX 5.3 ,no a.c. p/n ,MasterPro MBH K060930 which crossed to my original belt 6PK2365 or 12576451 . All is well 100%. In a million years I never would have thought that was simply a bad belt noise - TOTALLY sounded like a bad bearing or water pump on its way out.

Last edited: