My ongoing transmission problems....advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95_z71

Reaction score
Ok, im fed up with my transmission. It's really starting to piss me off... Idea's on whats going on? I dont really want to pull it unless i have too since i do rely on it as my DD. It is a 95 silverado with the NV3500, 5 speed.

Some background information on it, ever since i bought the truck a year ago I have had nothing but problems with the tranny. I do drive aggressive at times and i heard NV3500's don't like aggressive driving, but my 230,000 mile 350 doesnt let me get THAT aggressive with it. It has shifted hard ever since Ive had it and the majority of the time I have to double clutch it to get it to go into first. Recently it started grinding on my downshifts mainly from 3rd to second. It will grind from 3rd-2nd unless im going like 10 mph then it will shift fine, but that really ****** people behind me off when i have to slow way down just to shift down. So i started skipping second and jumping from 3rd to 1st and then slowing down before letting the clutch out, But now it grinds going into first..

The previous owner did put a clutch in it (around 25k miles ago), but didnt put the throwout bearing in it. Would that be contributing to the problem possibly? Also, the clutch never did press in easy, almost like the slave cylinder isnt working, ive tried bleeding it and everything with no improvements.

Sorry for the novel, i just tried explaining things to the best of my ability.

Last edited:

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably a bad synchro. Get a new tranny at the yard for cheap and save yourself the headache.

bulletbob

Reaction score
Don't go used

You do infact have bad blocking rings (ie-synchro rings).The problem with a junk yard transmission is,you don't know what you'll get!The junkyard will give you a 30 day warranty and for about 600.00 to 800.00 you'll have a used transmission with a 30 day warranty.I would not recommend a used unit! I would have a good trans rebuilder build yours.This opinion is giving by a 25 year veteran of the business.I would suggest not to drive because more damage can be sustained.Good luck i hope everything works out for you. Bob.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't spend $1.00 on a used tranny because in reality you don't know what you got until it's installed and that's pretty much like pissing in the wind IMO.
Save & spend the loot and have it rebuilt by a certified shop with a warranty and in most cases you won't have to worry about it taking a crap on you again. Mines will be on the table
this winter and is costing me $800.00 with a lifetime warranty but that's through a shop I've been dealing with for years.