My 89 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
So this truck isn't mine yet, but it's starting to grow on me.

To start the story, It's a 1990 K1500, 5.7 tbi, 700R4, 6" lift, NP241(i think) and 52K original miles! This past weekend my friend I work with calls me over to help him move his brothers truck to his back yard where it is out of sight because his brother has let it sit for 5 years and he is tired of looking at it. So i get there with my black truck and we put on a chain on the tow hook and we literally have to drag the truck to the back yard because he believed his brother blew up the rear end doing burnouts. It was locked solid and wheels would not turn.

We get the truck to his back yard and start talking about the truck and why his brother just let it sit for so long. He tells me every thing wrong with it like the rear end, engine hasn't ran in years, trans may be bad, etc. It was starting to grow on me because it reminds me of my 91 S10. Similar engine, similar gauge style and I just generally like the pre-94 body styles better.

The following Monday, a few hours into work I'm starting to think about the truck. Lately I've been thinking of trading or selling my black K1500 as it has issues I don't want to put money or time into. So I ask my friend if his brother would be interested in doing a straight trade since both trucks have issues. His brothers first thought was "why the f**k does he want that?" (as in why does he want those problems with that truck). We send him pictures and tell him about the black truck and he seems to be interested. So after talking for a while, we can to the agreement that if me and my friend can get the truck running and driving(since his brother lives an hour away), we will straight trade with the exception that he wants his wheels off the truck and I'm keeping my brush guard.

First thing we have done is replace the ignition cylinder since his brother broke off the key in it. After an hour or so of working on the ignition cylinder, we got it changed out and turn our attention to the engine. Oil? check. Although it's black, it looks good. Coolant looked okay but could definitely use a flush. We put a freshly charged battery on it and after fixing his brothers janky ground cable, it started right up! It runs a bit rough, definitely use a tune up and if needed, adjust the timing.

You must be registered for see images attach

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According the the sticker on the door, it was manufactured in May of 1989 so I believe it's probably an 90 model.
Probably not, my 88 was born on 6/88

Personally I like the 88-89 looks better but, I may be prejudiced :rolleyes:

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But aren't they manufactured for the new model year at the last half of the current year?

The third quarter starts in July, which is usually the first month of "this year's" vehicle production. That can and does vary according to parts supply and production line schedules, though. You have an '89.