My new project truck: '99 K2500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
So, I'm about to tear back into Elise, and try again to get her ready for a trip up north. This time we're aiming for May. Gotta see if it's a lifter or what that's making all the racket in the motor. I'm hoping that's all it is. May consider going with a slightly bigger cam since I'm likely to have to pull the motor out, and that will necessitate a tune for sure. Does anyone have any other suggestions while I'm into the motor this time?

Dravec

Reaction score
Ok, supposing the weather here holds tomorrow afternoon, I'll be starting to try and diagnose what's going on with Elise. I have an inspection camera from work, so that I can make sure that the cylinders are actually clear. My biggest fear is that I somehow managed to inadvertently drop something into the motor while I was trying to put her back together.

Dravec

Reaction score
Turns out, I missed the #7 spark plug when I was plugging in the plug wires. So the tapping/knocking noise I was hearing? Yeah, that was the plug wire trying to ignite the spark plug heat shield. Not the spark plug. :banghead::suicide:

So. Got that fixed, and now she fires up and runs. Idles at 50+ psi of oil pressure cold. Still have to fix a heater hose that's hemorrhaging coolant, and then I can let her idle to temp. After that, I have to do the rear brake shoes and drums, plus all the springs and adjusters, then bleed the system completely front to back. Then an alignment, inspection, and registration. Then I can finally drive her again.

Yes I realize I'm an idiot for missing something so ridiculously simple. But I was in a rush trying to put her back together, and that was where I went wrong. I acknowledge that rushing was the cause of all of this drama. I welcome your (good natured) ridicule and ribbing. :33::cheers: