My 98kK1500 auto trans. shifter has gotten hard to shift out of park....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like solid and hard to move, or does the shifter move a bit, bind, then shift out? The shifter cable is a solid steel core wrapped with wire. If the core breaks, and they do, all the shift pressure is on the steel cable and may have a bit of slack and a harder time shifting from park.

I will assume you know that parking on a hill will bind the pawl when in park and that isn't the issue.

Wilecoyote

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's been backed down my steep driveway where I park it. Months ago I shifted it in drive from neutral while it was rolling backwards and it shook the truck. I've had to press the brake peddle to shift from park since I bought it. Now It might take 3-5 times to pull shifter to take it out of park. It won't move from park. I can press the brake 3/5 times before it goes in drive and it's getting worse..

Wilecoyote

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like shift interlock solenoid mine acted close to how yours is when I got mine. And I just yanked it out instead of replacing it
Thanks for the info.
I looked on you tube and everybody were replacing their worn out solenoids. I removed mine today and it shifts better then ever.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Had some trouble popping the shroud back in. I put some zipper grease on the inserts and they were easy to pop in.I don't why anyone would pay $60 for the part and install in their truck.

Last edited:

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 00 K3500 had a deal when I bought it and would "only crank in Neutral to start". In Park it wouldn't crank. Somehow I figure out it was that goofy solenoid. I yanked it out and works fine now.

My 99 NBS also had an issue once where it wouldn't go into Park! I had to shut off the engine in Neutral and leave the keys in when I went to Subway for lunch, then back to the office. When I got home and removed the panel, the interlock solenoid had snapped out of the little ball joint, so I disconnected it and kept on truck'n. :D

Wilecoyote

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I love the Blue Diamond Wasbi & Soysauce almonds and my wife likes the smoked almonds so I've got lots of those cans and the tops. They are good for many uses, soaking small parts and cleaning bolts and nuts etc.

Last edited: