my 98 stepside project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
1badgmc, ive been contemplating a kp6 or just a kp4 with watts link.. but i keep hearing the bag on axle is a bad ride, is it?

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a KP 4-link/panhard with the bags on the axle. I had it bagged about 10 years ago by a guy who didn't really want to make it right. I've been redoing his work ever since. He did a 2-link/panhard. I hated the lack of articulation from the 2-link and one of the panhard mounts broke afer a few years. When you consider that I've maybe put 3,000 miles on the truck since it was bagged, if even that much, that doesn't bode well for the parts he used. I replaced that crap with the KP 4-link, but left the bags where they were.

The bags on the axle do give a stiffer ride. If it was a driver, it would probably get old. But I like a firmer ride and as little as I drive it, it's fine for me. The big problem most people have with that location is the lack of lift since it's pretty much 1:1. If your bag has 6" of travel, you'll get 6" of lift. Again, it's no big deal to me since I don't lay frame and I don't need big lift. I just need enough to get to ride height and maybe a little more to clear the random obstacle here and there.

A friend of mine has the KP 6-link/watts on his '92 and he loves it. But man is it ever crowded under there with all those links and then his tanks and valves and everything else. It rides good and gets big lift.

lance

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1badgmc out of all the time's i've seen your signature when you post I never notice that yours has a shaven stepside lol!! But I will say it looks awsome just as your whole truck does!!

Reaction score
Im going with the four link then, i just priced it with the watts link.. A 5gal 1 compressor all RE7 bags w/8 1/2" valves and a tubular bridge notch and all the lil accessories will put me rite at my 3g budget ofter shipping.. I may add another tank and compressor later.. I just want a static height at full lift and to lay frame aired out. No hopping or side to side stuff.. I like the fact itll be a firm ride.. Thank you!

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1badgmc out of all the time's i've seen your signature when you post I never notice that yours has a shaven stepside lol!! But I will say it looks awsome just as your whole truck does!!

Thanks. :cool:

Im going with the four link then, i just priced it with the watts link.. A 5gal 1 compressor all RE7 bags w/8 1/2" valves and a tubular bridge notch and all the lil accessories will put me rite at my 3g budget ofter shipping.. I may add another tank and compressor later.. I just want a static height at full lift and to lay frame aired out. No hopping or side to side stuff.. I like the fact itll be a firm ride.. Thank you!

Yeah, the only reason I have a 4-way setup is for handling. You'll never see my truck hitting sides and the air is too slow to hop. I drop it when I park and air it up to drive. I've never felt the need to play.

Reaction score
i was rly iffy on this til i seen that pic ,,now im excited lol and its not even my truck
gona look wicked

I was worried at first.. I walked outside.. had the steps shaved and a nice bodyline with shaved tail lights.. was about to start finish sanding.. then i said fk it.. lol, broke out the cut off wheel and sliced it all back off! after it was done i was still worried. Put a thin coat of evercoat on it and after i sanded it smooth i got excited and threw some prime on it.. Man i was soooo stoked! Ran an grabbed the camera..lol Curiosity is killing me on what if ida kept the shaved lights..:hmm:

**EDIT** keep telling myself it would be overkill with shaven if i ditched the lights again..lol

Reaction score
1badgmc... Its official man.. lol, doing the KP4 w/watts.. ordering everything monday night after work! Thanks!