My 454 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, After looking at the file i can say for sure this will take some learning!

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention the scanner i bought. Solus Pro with 9.4 software will without a doubt do the ABS brake bleed function on my 98 truck.
It also did it on my 2005 Avalanche.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well got HPTuners today and have not had time to use it really but here is the stock .bin file from the black box ecu. If you want to look at it rename it from .txt to .hpt
Now i don't know a thing about tuning but the injector data looks wrong.
I have stock injectors and i thought they were 19lb/hr? My stock tune is 22 lb/hr
Also, i got the plugs needed to make a 0411 bench harness.

Attachments

• Stock bin file.txt
    174.7 KB · Views: 3

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've downloaded and started looking at it.

I don't see too much concerning besides your idle speeds being like 575rpm when you're warmed up. But you're still getting misfires at all engine temps?

There's several stock tunes I have (one's BB'd) that closely line up to yours. The fuel injector flow is the same, and lots of other stuff.

There's things like cranking enrichment and other odds n ends that are different with yours and the other BB'd one compared to the rest. And even your's and the other BB'd one are different than each other.

I still recommend using the scanner's function to take over commanded engine RPM, spark advance, and etc to find a nice happy spot your engine likes to be at idling.... all while adjusting the throttle stop to get your IAC counts around 35-55.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.
Here is a log from yesterday afternoon after i did the fallowing. The first minute or so it just KO, EO
I did add 1 degree of timing to all cells. I also disabled vats and adjusted injectors to 19lb/hr to match the stock injectors.
It will need renamed to .hpl

Also, i did increase idle when warm to 650.

Attachments

• 6-25-2023 - .txt
    583.9 KB · Views: 0

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahh. did not know that. Seems like everything i remember reading said 19lb/hr. I had thought that was at 58 psi.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So a few posts back i had mentioned my truck had developed what sounded like piston slap on the #7 cylinder when cold and went away when warm.
Yesterday i was under my truck doing something and i noticed one of the exhaust studs was missing and the other two bolts were slightly loose.
I had put new studs in the exhaust manifold when i installed the engine and they were tight. Guess i should have checked em again.
Anyway it never was piston slap and noise is gone so it was just a exhaust leak noise.
Never heard a leak sound like that before but dam glad that is what it turned out to be!

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So a few posts back i had mentioned my truck had developed what sounded like piston slap on the #7 cylinder when cold and went away when warm.
Yesterday i was under my truck doing something and i noticed one of the exhaust studs was missing and the other two bolts were slightly loose.
I had put new studs in the exhaust manifold when i installed the engine and they were tight. Guess i should have checked em again.
Anyway it never was piston slap and noise is gone so it was just a exhaust leak noise.
Never heard a leak sound like that before but dam glad that is what it turned out to be!
When I put my headers on I used ARP studs and nuts. I tightened them every 50mi for the first 200mi. Then every 500mi. Then every oil change for a few years. Engine warm and engine dead cold.

I checked them maybe 6mo ago. They don't budge. Used to move a lil at the beginning though.