My 454 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hoping it pans out is part of the reason my fingers are crossed!.
Good results will happen Friday :grd:

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got tired of messing with cams so it has a new stock grind cam the machine shop had. It has Five o injectors. Headers i decided to wait on for now. I did convert it to an adjustable valve train with comp roller rockers. Bored .030 over for 4.280 and 10/10 crank. Also used GM performance thin head gaskets trying to mostly get a better quench.
I did have a buddy machine down the Crower short Polylocs .090 so it all fit under stock valve covers and if i remember right it was only the exhaust that was about .050 to tall but could have been intakes. Anyway using clay i measured about .040 clearance with the valve cover.
Reason being, I just needed to get it in the old engine out as it down to near 0 psi oil pressure when hot and was starting to knock louder and more at idle. I also figured just get the dam* thing in and running so i have a reliable daily driver.
A mechanical gauge read 0 PSI and the dash gauge was down to about 5 PSI hot with 15-50W oil. I could not even use 5-30W anymore or it was always banging! Funds also a problem. Just did not have the cash for a new cam, valve spring setup.
To sum it up Basically stock rebuild with options for later. Because of miss communication between my self and the machine shop and funds.
So now i do have options for later to add a cam/valve spring/headers/tune when im better ready to do it on a warm sunny weekend in September or October as there are other things i want to do first.
First though im ready to order a lift kit that i can install in either March or June of this year.
Swapping a cam is easy installing a lift is hard. Lift kit gets the priority for me anyway.
Now we all are totally up to date on the Suburban saga.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Boy howdy this thread has the gears turning again.
Personally if it were me I'd do performance over appearance but I also have an aversion to lift kits after helping install a few. Either route you go I'm excited to see more updates;

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Even stock, You can have Blackbear wake it up a little bit more. Nothing wrong with a fresh 454 on the road again.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Black Bear tuned 0411 already with the mid grade fuel tune. Forgot to mention the heads were surfaced .010 and the block was surfaced .005 + The GM Performance head gaskets plus the full roller rocker setup. I also bought the tools to cut the valve guides if i need to. I would think perform slightly better than a "stock" rebuild.
How much, anyone's guess
So the door is almost wide open for a cam swap later
I have not bothered to take any pics cuz well its just removing a engine and not much to see there. I'll post some tonight of the install though with a update.
After all this what's a guy to do with a good running gen VI L29 that needs a crank kit?
I'm thinking a eagle crank kit, rings, cam bearings, heads rebuilt and sell for like 3K but dang i still want a 496!

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
great job. You built it very well with the resources you had. I had aspirations to go the 496 route, but not the resources. looking forward to updates