Monitoring my trucks actions with a computer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96k2500chevy

Reaction score
Hi there I have a 96 Chevy k2500 with a 350 vortec. I've been wanting to get a set up for my truck to were I can plug my laptop in to it and monitor what's happening while driving or to trouble shoot problems. Thin is I have no clue what I would need to do this. Help me out? Also a newbie here so take it easy on me haha

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
You can get a Bluetooth connector that plugs into your obd2 port and use the torque app from a phone or tablet.

Sent from Robl@nd

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
I have both a bluetooth adapter for phones and an Ultragauge. I prefer the ultragauge.
You can basically Velcro the ultragauge anywhere in your truck and it's available immediately.
No messing with your phone or draining it's battery.
http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Just go to ebay, pay 10 bucks and laugh all the way to the bank. I use a cheapo "ELM327 Blutooth" adapter from ebay for 10 bucks to my door (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Super-Mini-E...388?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3f31dac484). Works with both my hacked Iphone, my android powered nexus and my laptop.

They're all the same no matter what the auction says. Size, form and price are the only real differences. Don't use the disc that comes with them, they're all loaded with spyware, malware and viruses.

Any elm327 based OBDII interface will work fine with a laptop. Either Bluetooth, Wifi or wired. As long as you laptop does bluetooth that is.

Take your choice of any of the free OBDII reader software packages all over the internet.

Google will turn them up. Just type in "free OBDII software" and try a few until you find one you like.

All you will get is a basic reader, maybe a digital dashboard display and probably code clearing. No programming. Big bucks to get in to that club....around a grand or so.

Last edited:

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
I have both.
I use the ultragauge exclusively although it's not in my truck at the moment.

The bluetooth adapter was cheaper than the ultragauge, but I like the ultragauge better.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
I have both.
I use the ultragauge exclusively although it's not in my truck at the moment.

The bluetooth adapter was cheaper than the ultragauge, but I like the ultragauge better.

I was asking which version of the ultra garage you had. The site shows 3 but the last one is for more tech savy people

96k2500chevy

Reaction score
Alright thanks y'all!! Also any ideas to get better fuel Eco? I'm getting like 11 on highway haha