Missfire no CEL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1990Obscammed

Reaction score
Hey guys, im new to this forum and im coming here looking for some help on a truck of mine, i currently have a 90 scottsdale with a tbi but i have just gotten myself a 98 sierra with a 5.7 vortec, it started out with a p1345 code but i have fixed that by twisting the distributor and i still have the same kind of missfire as it had before but no codes ive tried everything from throttle position to complete tune ups and watching everything with my scan tool im left with no more knowledge on what to do and any help is great, thanks

DIMESFORLIFE

Reaction score
I got a 96 with a miss at speeds.. 260k miles . Original injectors . If I unplug the maf sensor it don't miss as bad and it don't backfire and pop. But if I plug it in runs so bad can't drive it without putting my foot to the floor .. unplug egr valve stops backfire . Still misses.. fuel pressure is good. 55 under load but goes up to 60 psi. I'm lost

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm having a similar issue. Are yal using a scanner? I've set up a graph to watch my misfires tend to go away once I press the gas and start driving but comeback at a stop light and idle....

Attachments

• 20211021_120700.jpg
    20211021_120700.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 7

DIMESFORLIFE

Reaction score
I'm having a similar issue. Are yal using a scanner? I've set up a graph to watch my misfires tend to go away once I press the gas and start driving but comeback at a stop light and idle....
I don't have a scanner . But I can feel the miss at crusieing speeds and in gear at idle

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's sort of what I'm experiencing. Scanner really does help but I'm running out of options. In my case I got the ht383e in my truck and it hasn't been tuned. People are telling me tuning it will fix it but I feel like gm would of required it or have a technical bulletin. Runs and drives great... plenty of power but at idle its shaking more then an old lady playing bingo......

BappleApple

Reaction score
The P1345 code points to a Crankshaft Position Sensor & Camshaft Position Sensor signal correlation issue. Not sure if you've already checked both sensors over, but the two sensors work together with the ECM to control engine timing. These sensors will be in sync if everything is working properly. When the signals between the camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensors are out of sync for more than 1 or 2 degrees, the error code P1345 will be recorded. With that being said; I'm not really surprised to hear that the code went away when you turned the distributor to adjust your ignition timing curve just enough to not throw a code, however; the problem is still there. Check those sensors over & their wiring harness.
Hope my advice is helpful for you & good luck!

Last edited:

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
If you can isolate which cylinder is misfiring it can help to narrow what to check.

The distributor caps and rotors are infamous for misfire issues.
Just because it is new doesn't mean it's not broken.

Make sure the spark plug wires are keeping the spark inside.
A 50/50 mix of water and Windex will highlight misfires observed in the dark after giving the wires a good soaking.

Perhaps a dirty or worn out fuel injector? The spider injectors have known issues. The newer ones without poppet valves are better.

A compression test may isolate an issue.

A leak down test either using a real leak down tester or even the "poor mans" leak down tester.
The poor man's tester is just an air hold adapter. Lock the cylinder you are testing @ TDC with both valves closed. Put air pressure in the cylinder. If you can get 100 to 120 psi in there great!
See where the air hisses out. Out the throttle body is a leaky intake valve. Out the tail pipe is an exhaust valve bad. out the valve cover is to be expected as the rings don't seal perfectly.

Use an Ignition spark tester. At idle or highway cruise the engine is @ high vacuum and the cylinder has almost nothing in it to compress.
This rarefied air/fuel mix can be hard to light. The result is a "partial misfire". This is also sometimes called "lean surge".
A larger plug gap and a platinum tip spark plug can help with these partial misfires.

A faulty MAF or MAP sensor can contribute to a lean miss as can a vacuum leak.

Check the grounds! It's always the grounds! :biggrin:

1990Obscammed

Reaction score
I appreciate all the help guys, the only thing i havent tried is a compression test and fuel pressure, the best way to hear it missfire is if you try to do a burnout, i do have a scan tool but every thing looks fine to me

1990Obscammed

Reaction score
When i drive it completely normal like an old man you cant hardly tell theres an issue it really only does it when i punch it, i cant really tell what rpms or speed because the guages read completely wrong like 90mph on the guage is really about 60 and the rpms read like 3500 on the guage wich seems to be what it would be at if i were really doing 90 but my scan tool reads it correctly

DIMESFORLIFE

Reaction score
The P1345 code points to a Crankshaft Position Sensor & Camshaft Position Sensor signal correlation issue. Not sure if you've already checked both sensors over, but the two sensors work together with the ECM to control engine timing. These sensors will be in sync if everything is working properly. When the signals between the camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensors are out of sync for more than 1 or 2 degrees, the error code P1345 will be recorded. With that being said; I'm not really surprised to hear that the code went away when you turned the distributor to adjust your ignition timing curve just enough to not throw a code, however; the problem is still there. Check those sensors over & their wiring harness.
Hope my advice is helpful for you & good luck!
I have not checked sensors. I did notice on scam tool while driving my timing says -32 to -38 just cruising. Fuel trims seem ok ..