Misfire, runs like poop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well where do I find this scan tool for a reasonable cost? It's obd1 which aren't in abundance anymore.
When my Snap-On MTG2500 (similar to MT2500) died, I replaced it with a $350 Snap-On Solus Pro with 8.2 software, good to 2007. The single thing it doesn't do that I want, is auto-bleed the ABS on my '97 K2500; although it will auto-bleed my 2003 Trailblazer. I can get codes, wheel-speed sensor data, etc; but no auto-bleed for the '97. I tried a Solus Pro with 14.2 software, and that one does the auto bleed that my 8.2 won't.

There's no shortage of used, professional-grade scan tools on eBay or Craigslist or pawnshops. Be sure you get software new enough for all the vehicles you intend to use it on; Snap-On does NOT support the 2500/Solus/Solus Pro any more, and the Solus Ultra will lose support soon.

Buy the scan tool with the accessories you need--battery charger, vehicle adapters/personality keys, user manuals, etc.

OTC sells competing scan tools to the Snap-On line, as do several other companies. But all I've ever owned were the Snappy units.

not the budget to buy multiple vaccum gauges,
You only need one. Verify that it's accurate by comparing to other gauges, or to the MAP sensor on a few vehicles.

$1300 dollar gm tech 2 scan tools,
You only need one, and you don't need to spend $1300.

and like I'd be able to accurately decifer what the scan tool is displaying.
Comes with practice...and reading the various user manuals which (depending on the tool purchased) may be paper or may be manual-on-DVD or somesuch.

mockspeed88

Reaction score
So I recently did the timing chain, and thus drained, flushed replaced my coolant. I noticed the heat wasn't the typical melt your face off hot, so I put a new 195 degree thermostat, and also put a gm genuine part temp sensor in, and truck runs perfect. I also eliminated the misfire as since the truck was running rich, the plugs were fouled badly. I put new ngk ur5gp platinum plugs in and that eliminated the misfire.