Metal scraping noise from driver rear when turning right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks [mention]BonestockK1500 [/mention] I just replaced the spline end u-joint (fixed a different clank when reversing torque during accel/decel), u-bolts look like crap but don’t see any signs of looseness or movement. When lifted and manually rotating one rear wheel, other turns in respose without hesitation - does that mean the rear diff is good?

What does it mean if I can push/pull on my rear wheel and get some play?

BonestockK1500

LT265/75/R16
Reaction score
Thanks [mention]BonestockK1500 [/mention] I just replaced the spline end u-joint (fixed a different clank when reversing torque during accel/decel), u-bolts look like crap but don’t see any signs of looseness or movement. When lifted and manually rotating one rear wheel, other turns in respose without hesitation - does that mean the rear diff is good?

What does it mean if I can push/pull on my rear wheel and get some play?

my guess would be wheel bearings maybe? That’s the only part I can think of that would allow slop in the rear wheel. Unless the main pin running through middle of the rear diff is sloppy and allowing the axle to move in and out but that seems unlikely. But I’ve never heard of wheel bearings causing a Clunk so perhaps there’s more than one issue going on.

BonestockK1500

LT265/75/R16
Reaction score
my guess would be wheel bearings maybe? That’s the only part I can think of that would allow slop in the rear wheel. Unless the main pin running through middle of the rear diff is sloppy and allowing the axle to move in and out but that seems unlikely. But I’ve never heard of wheel bearings causing a Clunk so perhaps there’s more than one issue going on.

I’m not anywhere near a mechanic so please take these comments as just some dumb guy thinking aloud.

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

My suspicion without knowing all the innerworkings (beginner mechanic speaking), is that I’m hearing the lateral movement of the wheel when I turn. I’m hearing it on the left rear wheel when I turn right, so I’m hearing it when the wheel gets pushed inward.

I’m going to have to break out some books and YouTube videos before I take it apart any further.

BonestockK1500

LT265/75/R16
Reaction score
My suspicion without knowing all the innerworkings (beginner mechanic speaking), is that I’m hearing the lateral movement of the wheel when I turn. I’m hearing it on the left rear wheel when I turn right, so I’m hearing it when the wheel gets pushed inward.

I’m going to have to break out some books and YouTube videos before I take it apart any further.

I wonder if your rear leaf bushing is sloppy and you actually have the leaf shackle clunk when you turn, as if the shackle is sliding laterally because there’s no bushing material to hold it true. Trying to think of every piece that could move in the rear.

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wonder if your rear leaf bushing is sloppy and you actually have the leaf shackle clunk when you turn, as if the shackle is sliding laterally because there’s no bushing material to hold it true. Trying to think of every piece that could move in the rear.

When I said u-bolts, the leaf spring ones were the one I was referring to. There’s a lot of crusty stuff under there... I’m just starting with the noisy ones. New to me 1995 Tahoe 2-door 4WD base model (work truck grille, roll-em-up windows, vinyl floor).

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here’s the amount of slop I’m feeling in my rear wheels. Passenger side first, then driver.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

bowtie-72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here’s the amount of slop I’m feeling in my rear wheels. Passenger side first, then driver.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That play looks normal except for the lateral movement on the first one, just looks a little excessive, but might be ok. My first thought was the suspension as well, like one of the other posters. Take a good look at your springs. I had a broken leaf on mine years ago and the only time it made a noise like that was when I turned into the parking lot where I worked.

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How about this?

You must be registered for see images attach

mariodave

Reaction score
Check to see if the drum is rubbing the backing plate. Clean off any rust and debris. Also I had a 89 K1500 that lost the differential carrier bearings and the drum really started rubbing the brake backing plate.