McLaughlin006's 98 2-door Tahoo Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Doesnt look all that bad to me man have fun with it!!

mclaughlin006

Reaction score
Alrighty, pressing forward on my project. Got a few things today!

So, the evil ex snapped off both vanity mirror covers, so I had to clip those wires (this was years ago) because the button couldn't be pressed to turn the light off. She also did away with both rear headrests, God only knows why.
I went to a pull-a-part type place today to look for replacement visors, rear head rests and a Escalade/Denali center console.

Their inventory said they had (2) 2000 Escalades on site, so I was pretty stoked. Went there, and they only had one, and it looked like someone had tried to take that console out with a sledge hammer, so that was a no-go. I did get two sun visors with working covers and the two headrests. All were in excellent shape!

I remembered Boxerpitmix, in his initial pictures of his awesome 99 Tahoe, had used the console out of a Navigator, so I started roaming around looking for those. Saw 2! First one, the console resembled the one from the Escalade. Saw another, walked over, and aside from being dirty, the thing looked brand new! Got it all taken out, still had the 6 disc changer and everything in it. Hooked a battery up to the thing and the Changer was toast, I think it'd gotten water in it, but I wouldn't have used it anyway.

Toss the parts in my little wagon and wheeled em up there. He checked off the items I had and told me the price... I honestly thought he was joking. Then I almost asked him if he was sure, because I almost felt guilty. $42.80 for all of that! Unreal! While this isn't the console I wanted, it looks nice and will work for now until I can find a reasonably priced Escalade one. (pics below)

You must be registered for see images attach

mclaughlin006

Reaction score
Alrighty! I have my carpet in, my upholsterer has the leather in hand and wants me to drop off the passenger and bench seat to him the later part of next week.

Tomorrow will see the arrival of my heated seat kits for front and rear as well as my new head unit! For the head unit, I got a Pioneer AVIC-X950BH, so I also need a double din kit or some help installing that. I've got some guides bookmarked, so I'm pretty stoked there.

mclaughlin006

Reaction score
Going back to the yard, next week, to see what else I can scrounge up. Will take a ton of pics of the disaster that is the current interior, then more when it's done. Super excited to redo my baby, I will never get rid of it.

mclaughlin006

Reaction score
Progress on the build:

Since I didn't want to not have my Tahoe for the duration of the seat reconstruction, I dropped my passenger seat and bench seat off at the upholsterer today, along with my heated seat kits. He has the leather on hand, but he's slammed so it may be up to 2 weeks before he gets those two seats recovered, the heating elements put in and the padding nice and fresh. I went with the grey leather with black inserts, and have black AAC carpet waiting to go down.

Once he gets those done, I'll drop the car off for him to recover the driver's seat, put the new carpet down, and do my black door inserts, wheel well carpet, back of bench seat carpet and the carpet on the barn doors. He's also redoing the vinyl on the sides, just below the long windows, and replacing the headliner.

Once that is done, I'll be fitting that console I ripped out of a Navigator (still considering and looking for a Escalade and 03+ Tahoe Console as well). Trying to find a bezel from an 03 Tahoe as the install guy said he could make that work for my new double din nav/head unit. (Pioneer AVIC-X950BH)

I got so wound up when I got home from dropping the seats off, that I went ahead and ripped out all the old carpet.

I did find one thing that was kind of surprising and that was the passenger floorboard padding was soaked, and it smelled of coolant. So, that's either a heater core or a plugged drain. I've seen a video or two and that seems simple enough to replace, so I guess that's what I'll be doing this week.

One quick question, though. The driver side seat is power/power lumbar, but I have no idea what these other connectors are for. Nothing was plugged into them, so can anyone tell me what they're wired for?

Thanks!

mclaughlin006

Reaction score
UPDATE!

So, the upholsterer I found was BURIED in work. His work is REALLY good, but it's just him, so sometimes it takes a while to get things back from him. Couple that with the fact I told him I was in no rush, he just got started. Well, then I find out I have to make an unexpected trip back to AL to help my folks out with some stuff. I wasn't going to make that 850 mile drive with one seat and no carpet, it'd be awful, so I told him my situation. He got the front two seats done, and got my new carpet in. Unfortunately, with the suddenness of the trip, he was unable to get the rear seat done or the headrests for the front. He put everything back in so I'd be comfy for my trip, and he did EXCELLENT work. Top notch quality work, and it was night and day difference from sitting in my old seat, not only from looks, but comfort as well.

Here's a before and after:

The super sad before pic. Worn out seat, ridiculously stained carpets... She needed some lovin!

And so she got it! I still need to trim that Navigator console down, and fit it to the dash, and build some side panels to make it sit flush with the carpet, but it's coming along.

mclaughlin006

Reaction score
Oh! I forgot to post my double din install.

When I do projects like this, it makes me realize how woefully inadequate my skill level is in this type of thing. I really enjoy it, I just know nothing about it.

It still needs some work. The mic you see dangling down in front of the speedo is now attached. Since it had a ball and socket type attachment point, i just drilled a hole in the side of the bezel, where the gauges are, and epoxied the flat piece with the socket inside, and the mic ball snapped through the hole. looks really clean

Last edited:

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sweet Tahoe man! I love this thing. I can get you one of the red bowties come October if you'd like. Although I'd need the cash for it and shipping before hand which I know doesn't sound promising coming from some 20 year old guy on the internet but if you're really wanting one just shoot me a PM closer to October and I'd be more than happy to pick one up for you!

Keep up the good work!

mclaughlin006

Reaction score
@77Concours:

Believe it or not, I was actually going to ask on the forums where to get one. It originally had a red one up front, but it was obliterated in that wreck I had. What's the cost on it?

Thanks in advance