Many, many leaks!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

-sin-

Honor the Fallen
Reaction score
Okay so 2 weeks ago I spent some time removing the rest of the mud I had accumulated during our last storm. Also I was trying to find a definitive location of my various leaks. I thought that my oil leak was coming from the adapter, where the oil filter screws on. It does leak there, but the majority is at the front of the pan and rear between the bell housing and oil pan. Also my P/S pump leaks quite a bit, but I already knew that. Then I find my transfer case leaking as well as the front driveshaft seal, which I replaced about a year ago!!!

I can't be without my daily driver very long, so pulling it and redoing all the seals sounds very long imo...

So my question is, should I -

1) used engine from junkyard

2) replace the seals/gaskets in current one

3) upgrade to a 5.3L swap

4) crate motor

5) buy a whole nother truck to use for parts

I have never pulled a motor, but I have plenty of friends to help me out - what would you choose?

(time is at a premium and money is tight)

JSIERRA

Reaction score
Totally agree with crate engine. Then you can put your old block on stand and build a beast!:flamingdevil:

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would keep adding oil. If you really want to do an engine swap then you need to save some cash, buy an eco-mobile and then do your truck right. You don't have a clutch so a leaking rear main seal isn't a big deal. Your constantly changing the oil and if it gets bad enough so just throw a filter on it every couple of months and embrace your truck marking its territory!

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure how many miles you have on your beast but my 91 has 190,000 on it and the rear main and front timing cover are a little wet ... and the oil filter adapter but it sure doesn't need a new engine. If you want a new engine go for it or save some cash and fix the leaks.

Unless it's really hemorrhaging oil I wouldn't be too worried.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Oil is cheap. Labor is not if you are paying someone. Save your cash, buy cheap dino oil by the case when it's on sale.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I say #2 but tackle one thing at a time rather than all at once so that your down time is minimized and just add oil/ps fluid in the meantime until they are all fixed. It'll be cheaper than your other options (especially if you do the work yourself) and you won't be without your dd

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
But what about the environment!?!?

You must be registered for see images

A little bit of oil on the ground is meaningless over the rest of the life of the truck.

Just one of the 20 container ships being built for Maersk used almost a million liters of paint. That's a LOT of petrochemicals and solvents.

http://alastairphilipwiper.com/blog/building-largest-ship-world-south-korea/

If you added up all of the pollution caused when creating a vehicle from making all of the plastic parts, the glass, the castings, the stampings, etc... it would be quite a bit.