LT1 TBI-just for grins and giggles....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ahhhh that makes sense. in that sense run the vortecs on the lt1 block and use that setup? no benefit with stock lt1 heads besides wieght. fully ported and polished as thin as they will go the vortecs still outflow. more prone to cracking. idk its a crapshoot but to me since you have the vortec intake it seems like the way to go than buying another fancy 1 use intake.

Yeah, it's a smoker.

But, you can't run anything but LT1 heads on an LT1". They are reverse cooling (the heads get the cold water first) and regular SBC heads aren't machined for that. But, what it allowed GM to do, is run 10.5:1 compression on pump gas. That's where most of the gains in power and mileage come from. That and the heads flow almost as well as the Chevy Bow tie heads, and it's a potent place to start.

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
GM would have used that camshaft profile in our truck if it was a good cam to use on a pick up.
I didnt come to this conclusion by myself. There are plenty of others who feel the same way.
If you plan on drag racing your truck near redline its a great camshaft. I dont drive my suv in that rpm range .
Or you also have the option to advance the camshaft to change where it makes its peak power.
Seems like your minds made up good luck with what ever you decide. None the less a LT1 sounds like a great power plant.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
GM would have used that camshaft profile in our truck if it was a good cam to use on a pick up.
I didnt come to this conclusion by myself. There are plenty of others who feel the same way.
If you plan on drag racing your truck near redline its a great camshaft. I dont drive my suv in that rpm range .
Or you also have the option to advance the camshaft to change where it makes its peak power.
Seems like your minds made up good luck with what ever you decide. None the less a LT1 sounds like a great power plant.

By your logic, all our trucks should be stock, because if there was a better part GM would have used it. There's always room for improvement, and while a hotcam isn't optimal for a truck, it's certainly an improvement over a stock TBI cam in a stock TBI.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh, and it comes 4* advanced from the factory. Its a torque cam according to the cam card and description. I dont expect everyone to agree, otherwise we would all be driving Fords...

Last edited:

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
ill semi agree, yes there may be other better options but for instance woody make 330 to the rear on tbi with a stock lt1 cam and vortec heads or somewhere around there while optimazing mileage and everything else.

as most people would say go with comp or some other stuff. how many people fully understand cam selection lets be honest? ive played with tbi enough i know what ones did and didnt work for me after trial and error. some i tried just to see what itd do but in the end theres a certain range of duration lsa etc that fit tbi equiptment perfectly that being one of them. i havent had an issue since my operating range is 2-6k

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
stock modified, tpi pump non regulated, afpr.

debating on going 454 with my blow through setup i have the base but the injectors are short pulse width, that with a 3 bar map and VAFPR. need the added fuel but be harder to tune. might just readjust the 350 injectors even further or back the 454 ones all the way down. not sure yet.