Lowered suspension advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ESnead

Reaction score
Looking for some input, I have a 97 SWB that I am building, trying to decide what suspension type/brand to go with. I'm looking at a 4/6 drop, plan on truck being a daily driver, want a good smooth ride most importantly, with good handling being a close second. Considering the DJM kit with springs & A arms/flip kit, or Ridetech Streetgrip, but my question is, is a a coil over upgrade worth the extra $$$?? The Ridetech set up looks sweet, but is expenisive, haven't really seen any other solid coil over kits. Looking for opionions and sugestions...

sbnova

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A 4/6 drop using spindles of any brand, a flip kit of any brand (or home made-easy) and new dropped front springs or even cut front springs will ride damn near exactly like stock. Shock quality will change the ride quality the most. No matter what you do, brand new parts will likely make the truck feel a whole lot better than whatever old worn out parts you probably have on there now.
I personally see no need for new a-arms for a 4" drop. I'm about 5" in the front and have spindles and cut springs. I have plenty of travel and a decent ride. I actually want my front end firmer so I might go with suburban springs (cut) but I'm trying to get adjustable front shocks first. I run KYB front shocks now, but my rears are Rancho 5000(?) with the red adjustment knob. I'd love to have them in the front!

Last edited:

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After a bunch of iterations on mine, I ended up with cut C2500 diesel front springs to get it stiff enough. Roughly 1600 lb/in rate. Chevy express 2500 front shocks more or less work, but going to get some Ridetech shocks in there soon as the shocks still aren't quite enough to control the springs.

I personally don't see the need to go full coilover. Main benefit is lighter weight, huge selection of springs, and easy ride height adjustment. Downside is the lower arms and upper shock mounts aren't really designed to take spring load in addition to damping load, so it's very possible to bend things.

WILWAXU

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the RideTech StreetGRIP setup on my truck. I daily drive it, and it rides/handles great. I went with the RideTech kit because it's a complete package, no guess work on what shocks and springs work best together. I have nearly 13K miles on it now and love it.

The coliover setup is sexy, I too am considering it.