Low oil pressure after rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tyguy364

Reaction score
2 years ago I bought a crate motor through summit racing it is a atk hp74 and it was running fine untill about 3 weeks ago when I was coming home from work and I lost oil pressure. I got it towed home and into the shop and checked the pressure with a mechanical gauge where I still had 0 pressure so I removed the oil pan to see what was happening. When the pan was removed I found the oil pump and one of the main bearing caps hanging loose from my motor which explains why I had no oil pressure. Looked at all the connecting rod and main cap bearings which were tapered so I replaced all of them and repolished the crank and put a new high volume oil pump in. The problem is that now that I have it running again it’s throwing a p1345 code which I assume because the timing is a little off. But the main problem is it’s showing hardly any oil pressure at all so I hooked up my mechanical gauge again. All I have is 12 psi at idle at 700 rpms and when it is Reving its 20 psi higher if you follow the 10 psi per 1000 rpm rule. I’m just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem or if it’s fine to run it with that pressure. Thx for reading everything ik it’s long.

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The main problem is it’s an atk product. They are junk. I would say good luck with the warranty but they will deny it I’m sure.

When you replaced the bearings, did you have any other machine work done or just slap in the brgs in?

And more importantly what pump did you put in? If it’s a high volume standard pressure pump, you’d better install a higher capacity oil pan or you will most likely suck the pan dry at higher rpm and f up another motor.

There could be some left overs lodged in an oil gallery blocking flow, could be a defective pump, could be the wrong bypass pressure spring in the pump

Tyguy364

Reaction score
The main problem is it’s an atk product. They are junk. I would say good luck with the warranty but they will deny it I’m sure.

When you replaced the bearings, did you have any other machine work done or just slap in the brgs in?

And more importantly what pump did you put in? If it’s a high volume standard pressure pump, you’d better install a higher capacity oil pan or you will most likely suck the pan dry at higher rpm and f up another motor.

There could be some left overs lodged in an oil gallery blocking flow, could be a defective pump, could be the wrong bypass pressure spring in the pump
I definitely agree with it being junk will never buy from them again this is ridiculous with only 30000 kilometres on it. From Canada too so warranty won’t do anything at all for me. No other work at all the damage was very minimal to anything as there was no shavings or chunks in the pan. Dads a journeyman mechanic and said that the bearings should have done the job so the only thing I can think of is the pump making the oil pressure low as for the pan it’s already got a larger aftermarket one. Idk what happened it’s got me absolutely stumped. These motors should have 40 psi at idle shouldn’t they?

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If new yeah 30ish+ usually. So pull the valve covers, start it up and see if the ALL the rocker arms are oiling at idle, if they are and there aren’t any other noises leave it be. Not much more you will be able to do short of pulling it all apart and rebuilding it properly. In my opinion of course.