loud noise right dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
hi yall, need a hand,,88 model,,when u turn the key on,,there is a horrible noise from the upper right area of the dash,,key off the noise is there again, almost like a stripped gear.
it is some kind of gear or motor noise??? anyways it is very loud and very annoying,,anyone has a idea or been there done that,,please let me know.,.thanks

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Could be the heater blower motor, worth taking a look at for sure

Sent from my 350 TBI powered iPhone

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Is it a popping or sort of knocking noise that lasts about 30 seconds when you start the truck, and then does it again when you shut it off?

Bad fresh air/recirculate actuator motor, it's the one on the far right near the blower motor. Kind of a PITA to reach in there and replace, and the part is about $60-$75 depending on where you get it. I'd buy AC Delco only, but get it off Amazon, ebay, whatever. Don't get a used one from the boneyard as these go bad quite often.

I did a write-up on replacing this without pulling the dash (like the manual tells you to - totally unnecessary) but it's still kind of a pain. http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/170970

If you want to just kill the noise for now, you can disconnect the wire from it. It's not working anyway.

Richard

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Recirc door motor.

It goes past it's travel limits and the worm gear inside graunches away until it stops turning.

Replacement is the only cure.

Fairly common issue.

bdubyah

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was just about to post about the same type of issue.

This sounds like my problem as well.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Easiest way to tell is reach up in there and pull the wire. No more noise, you've found the bad part. :D

Richard

bdubyah

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just hit the MAX button when I got in a second ago and it made it stop for a second.

Definitely the problem. Probably just unplug it since I don't have AC anymore anyways.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Make sure it in the "outside" position if you unplug it or you'll have all sort of windshield fogging problems on cold or rainy days.

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
how do you tell if it is in the outside position??
thanks for the reply gw ,, hope your feeling better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!