Loosing some coolant, reason to worry?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnny_buchanan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It seems that Red Dust ('89 350 TBI with almost 200 000 on the clock) is loosing some coolant, not much but still :(

Only symptons noted so far are slightly lowering level in radiator and 'haps temp gauge movement between normal and below normal (moon gauges, city driving lately, still cold down in my neck of the woods so can't be certain here).

No residue in oil, no water vapor in exhaust, no visible leaks, no strong smell of coolant in cabin (or maybe once in awhile, now that I really think of if, perhaps..).

So, should I start to worry, what is normal mtbf for head gasket for tbi 350? Do they go out gradually or with a bang?
Heater core, when do they normally give up to ghost on these?
Other normal places/reasons that spring to mind?

Thanks in advance!

-J

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I pulled the TBI350 in my 88 sierra just at 200k on it. I had a slight loss of coolant with no visible signs as to why. It was so minimal i didn't really care prior. After taking the motor out, turns out the headgasket had a very slight leak into the intake valley.

Honestly, I'd throw some of the GM stop leak tablets in your cooling system and see if it stops it for awhile.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you check your rear heater hose quick disconnect? Pretty common for that one or the one going to the waterpump to leak

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

johnny_buchanan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^ and ^
Gentlemen, thank you!

GM tablets: do you mean the same tablets that are used for certain Cadillacs? I do crush and introduce a fresh set of those with new coolant to my Allante regularly.

Rear heater hose: might have to take a closer look on this.

-J

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^ and ^
Gentlemen, thank you!

GM tablets: do you mean the same tablets that are used for certain Cadillacs? I do crush and introduce a fresh set of those with new coolant to my Allante regularly.

Rear heater hose: might have to take a closer look on this.

-J

The rear heater hose is hard to notice, I have had my truck for a lil over 2 years new heater core, radiator, water pump, all new hoses minus the two quick disconnect ones always had a faint coolant smell but never and drops or anything in the oil, was modding my TBI unit and noticed its that damn rear quick disconnect, got the hoses and parts just need a nice day to do it all

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
It seems that Red Dust ('89 350 TBI with almost 200 000 on the clock) is loosing some coolant, not much but still :(

Only symptons noted so far are slightly lowering level in radiator and 'haps temp gauge movement between normal and below normal (moon gauges, city driving lately, still cold down in my neck of the woods so can't be certain here).

No residue in oil, no water vapor in exhaust, no visible leaks, no strong smell of coolant in cabin (or maybe once in awhile, now that I really think of if, perhaps..).

So, should I start to worry, what is normal mtbf for head gasket for tbi 350? Do they go out gradually or with a bang?
Heater core, when do they normally give up to ghost on these?
Other normal places/reasons that spring to mind?

Thanks in advance!

-J

If you think you are smelling it every once and a while, pull the cover for your heater core and see if any is in it.

johnny_buchanan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, some update on this: I've now monitored the consumption daily, and it seems that roughly 100 miles lowers the level in radiator appr.5 mm max.

So, I may have been overfilling and panicing here. That, or now that spring is coming and I'm not using blower/heater the consumption has stopped.

I reckon I'll just keep on watching this for now. Anyway, thanks everyone for your advice! I've filed the wisdom received and will use it at later stage.

-J