Looking for options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine replacement cost for labor would be around $3000 plus the cost of the engine.
Somebody's planning on paying off their Caribbean vacation on your dime. Three grand for labor and $5800 for a low-quality Jasper rebuild when a factory rebuild is under $3500?

92Landyacht

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Somebody's planning on paying off their Caribbean vacation on your dime. Three grand for labor and $5800 for a low-quality Jasper rebuild when a factory rebuild is under $3500?
Please let me know where a "factory rebuild" can be purchased for $3500. As for the labor costs, motorhome facilities charge much more per hour due to the complexity of removal and installation on a class A motorhome. Typical labor charge is $148/hr with the removal and installation being around 2-man days.

Seriously, I'm looking for options. If you have a deal on a good engine vendor with a good warranty on a 1992 TBI 454 with an RV cam, I'm all ears. The RV repair center I'm working with just happens to use Jasper engines as their source for engine replacements. Jasper has also been recommended on the Air Stream forum.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know the ins and outs of rat motors, but the top engine in that link is an L19, which should be the same engine. How much does Gen IV vs Gen V affect the fitment? It is a Chevrolet Performance engine - a true factory rebuild. It has a 24 month/50,000 mile warranty. It's $3447.99.

Even if it has the wrong cam, having the shop swap in a different cam shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred dollars. Call your favorite cam company, explain that you truly have an RV (people call 'em asking for "RV" cams all the time for motors that don't want a true RV cam), and have them recommend a cam. It's a hydraulic flat-tappet cam, so you should be able to get a great cam for under $200.

Last edited:

92Landyacht

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That engine looks good, but fitment of accessories is critical for my application. The AC compressor is high mounted. There is no serpentine belt system either. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it's currently a Gen V block and heads as a 1992 TBI model. Not sure of the complexity of transplanting a Gen IV or Gen VI in its place. If someone can explain the obstacles in doing such a transplant, it would be greatly appreciated. As I won't be doing the actual installation, it may depend on what the installer would be willing to do. On a side note, Jasper, I know, does allow for labor on warranty claims but does GM? This could be very important on an RV installation since installation is much more difficult and time consuming.

One other thing of note: The engine does not come as pictured. No valve covers, oil pan or timing chain cover included. These would have to be transferred from the original engine to the new long block.

Last edited:

92Landyacht

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck, hope it's not that bad where you need to swap engines.
Hope it's the case. Thanks for the encouragement. With any luck I'll be posting "problem fixed" and it was any easy repair.

If it is a manifold problem, I may go ahead and upgrade the exhaust system while doing the repair. Banks Engineering does a great job with their class-A chevy intake and exhaust upgrade. Supposed to produce some good HP and torque increases over stock.

Gains up to: +79 hp/+96 lb ft torque | 11% better fuel mileage​

A little pricey at around $2K for the set but should also cure the inherent manifold cracking issues.

You must be registered for see images attach

92Landyacht

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ole girl has been dropped off at the RV repair center. Now just waiting on what the diagnostics says and then decide what to do. I hate to let it go but it's hard to see me putting $10k into it at this point. Keep you fingers crossed for me that it's something simple and not a bad rod bearing.

92Landyacht

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, just got word from the RV shop. Looks like both of the exhaust manifolds are cracked. They're estimating total cost of replacement of both sides with new manifolds, gaskets and bolts to be around $2200. Could be worse I guess but still a pretty pricey repair.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
both of the exhaust manifolds are cracked. They're estimating total cost of replacement of both sides with new manifolds, gaskets and bolts to be around $2200.
Seems wildly excessive. Why would new manifolds need gaskets?

What is the breakdown for parts vs. labor?

Where are they sourcing the manifolds? (i.e., are they intending to use Communist knockoffs, or Genuine GM?) Keeping in mind that the Genuine GM manifolds cracked, too.