Locking console latch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nobears

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did the GMT400 suburbans/tables ever come with a lockable console latch? The latch on my suburban was busted when I got it and being in Texas I keep something in my console that really needs to be locked up when I'm not in the truck so I figure now is a good time to do it. Anybody have the GM part number so I can go to the stealership and get one?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Year and type of console would be useful information, but I'm going to guess you have a 1995-up so the answer is "no" anyway. Earlier consoles had a lock.

However, I'll go ahead and assume what you mean is a gun, do you really think a gun is safe from theft while enclosed in a flimsy piece of plastic? The wimpiest pry bar will have even a locking console open in a heartbeat.

Buy a gun safe and mount it under your seat or elsewhere.

Richard

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
My escalade console has a keyed lock (thought my key doesn't fit lol), but even if I could lock it I wouldn't put anything valuable in there. A good tank would probably pop that thing open even without tools.
X2 on the lockbox. Honestly that's the way I'd go if I had to leave anything expensive in my truck. I've been thinking about one for my camera

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
I keep mine in my toolbox. Locked of course. But I'm assuming you have a suburban? So I would get a lockbox as well, and bolt it to the floor under the back seat, that way you can just reach back and grab it. I'd be scared someone would take the lockbox and all.

nobears

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah its a 99 suburban. Guess I'll look for an older console. Yeah, I do mean a pistol, and I've never had a problem with my truck getting broke into, and there's not too many people that know its even there (out of sight out of mind), want it more to keep the kids our of it when they're playing in the yard while I'm still sleeping

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

jmc1997ck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The console on my '99 Tahoe has the latch completely missing. No biggie, but I like the lockable Tuffy consoles. They're ugly as sin, but it's a farkin' safe in between your seats. You'll also lose out on cup holder option for your rear passengers. I still may go that route or build a one-off...

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just get a chl and you don't have to worry about fumbling around in your console to get it when you really need it... get yourself a nice in waist band holster and call it a day. There are only a few style places in texas that a civilian with a chl can not carry besides federal/government associated off course.. as far as bisinesses go unless the place has a 51% sign or a legit 30.06 sign you can conceal carry there... the little Ghostbuster slash style no gun signs are not a legal do not carry sign..just for FYI since I see them almost everywhere..