Lift+Towing=Good/Bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hess

Reaction score
Well I'm debating on lifting my truck... On one main issue, on the weekends I use it to pull the fourwheelers to the park.. Usually 14-18ft trailer with 2-4 fourheelers.. My question is, how do they do when your truck is lifted. As far as ride..wear out of parts ect... I have a 97 gmc ext. Cab z71. I was set on the the Dick Cepek 6.5" on 35/36sX12.50X20... But that's gonna set up pretty good... At this point I really just want my truck to have a nice stance on some 35s but I don't want a body nor do I want it to ride like crap...

Thanks

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shouldn't affect towing as long as you have the correct gear's to run those 35's. I see lifted trucks towing all the time around here. Just gotta have a drop hitch.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
:word: gears will help alot if you tow regularly and it would be wise to beef up your brakes other than that I prefer to tow with a lifted truck as you can see much more since you sit higher in traffic and can see stuff develop much faster than other drivers around you.

Hess

Reaction score
Yea I just put all new rotors and drums, shoes and pads along with brake booster and master cylinder or whatever.

I wish I could just put a leveling kit and 35s like my brother just did on his dodge

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah unfortunately it's not as easy on the IFS(independent front suspension) trucks as it is on the SFA(solid front axles trucks) the upside is your truck will ride a lot nicer than his if you lift it correctly

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unless your going to change the rear leafs, I would do a 2" add-a-leaf & 2" block instead of just a 4" block. It will give you more support for towing, or you could do a helper bag kit. I had a ram that I lifted with add-a-leafs in the back and it towed better then when it was stock.

brodysz71

Reaction score
im thinking about geting a 6 in dick cepek 6.5 stage 2 but haveing many questions i tow a few times a month

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
I'm at about 9" of lift on 37s and I have no problem towing. I have a reinforced drop hitch so it won't buckle. But most people are on 35s max and a standard drop is plenty fine