Led tails project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willinthe985

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone loves led tails, but no one really loves the prices. This has been something I've been working on the past couple months(mostly because procrastination rocks).

Got these lenses from the local pullapart for like 3 bucks.
You must be registered for see images attach

The lights came with regular incandescent light bulbs(lame), so I ordered a crapload of leds from superbrightleds and made my lights.

Since I decided to used my trailer hookup instead of trying to tie into the stock taillight harness I made two circuits for each light:

Running light:

Brake & signal: (brighter output leds also)

Comparison against stock light:

The project sat in my closet at this point for a few months. I recently acquired a lot of time to work on it so I decided to cut into a perfectly good rollpan. This is the result.

Now I need to made a water resistant housing on the back of the rollpan for each light. So far I'm about maybe $70 into this project. Hope ya'll like.

willinthe985

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The boards aren't that pretty. All the leds are arranged together in different groups of series. Then There's wires ran to all the positives and negatives of all the series.
Everything's wired like this:

I still need to find a way to protect it from corrosion. There's this spray you can get from marine stores that I've heard protects electronics from salt water really well. Even when submerged.

blklime02

Reaction score
dam that looks bad ass and bright!!!

why dont u use an epoxy to coat them?? the bord and all exposed soder points??

and u got that bord at superbrightleds??? i need to look more in to that site..ive got some good thing from them..and ive been tryn to do some thing like that for my 02 stepside silverado..since no one make leds taillights for those trucks...

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Love it, you can make decent cash doing those for other people too.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
dam that looks bad ass and bright!!!

why dont u use an epoxy to coat them?? the bord and all exposed soder points??

and u got that bord at superbrightleds??? i need to look more in to that site..ive got some good thing from them..and ive been tryn to do some thing like that for my 02 stepside silverado..since no one make leds taillights for those trucks...

There are tons of LED taillights for these trucks. They vary in quality, these are better than a lot of the ones I've seen.

willinthe985

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The pullapart I went to had tons of the older stlye cadi's that I was going to take all the tail lights on and resell. But if anyone would be seriously interested I might look into it. It's just so easy, I don't see why anyone wouldn't want to do this kind of thing themselves.