LED lights flickering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moore

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently installed leds in my courtesy, dome, and footwell lights, and if I don't have the dome overide pressed the lights will flicker while the door is closed. However, if I press the dome overide and turn them on manually they will be fine. I didnt have front door panel lights or footwell before led's, I was always too lazy to put them in, but the dome light and rear lights never flickered. Not sure if this is related, but even before I did the led's, if I didn't press the dome overide button in and I closed all the doors the lights would still stay on..like forever unless I pressed the dome in. Also another thing; when I put the led in the driver side footwell there was a spark when it came in and only 2 of the 5 bulb things on the led would light up, I put a new bulb in and got an even bigger smark, as well as a little smoke came out. Keep in mind there was a dead bulb in there for a good 2 years or so. Also when the do the flickering theres a clicking sound.
I found this but there was no definate conclusion and as far as I understand his started even before the led's were put in. http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...-while-driving/page2&highlight=led+flickering

Any ideas?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope. The one on the side of the dash that you can see when you open the door.

Sent from somewhere in MN

Moore

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, so door JAMB switch, like the nipple thing?

chevyman0191

OBS till I die
Reaction score
yeah i believe thats what paul is talking about my cuzins truck did the same thing yours is doing.

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
Yeah the switch could be the culprit.

That doesn't explain the Sparks though.
I'm not sure what brand you're using but they typically have reverse-polarity protection built in.
I'd probe the socket to verify I'd it were:
++
--
Or
+-
+-
Or
+-
-+

Then verify the LED bulb.

-Truckin-

Moore

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No idea what you just said, however the bulb works fine. Damnit...I guess this means off comes the dash for this 5 dollar part

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No idea what you just said, however the bulb works fine. Damnit...I guess this means off comes the dash for this 5 dollar part

No you should be able to reach it going behind the dash, or hire someone with small hands

Sent from somewhere in MN