LED headlights vs DRL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smitty Jr

Reaction score
I think this is a new thread.

I have a 1996 WT with single headlights and installed LED headlights that include DRLs. I initially didn’t wire them in but decided to try them. There were no instructions in my kit.

Anyway, the DRLs had two leads - red and green. Power to the red caused a white DRL, power to the green caused yellow. I hooked the red to a keyed power source and tried connecting the green lead to the turn signal wire on the parking lights. To say the least, it has wreaked havoc in trying to get something to work right.

My vendor told me to hook both to a keyed source, which I did. Again crazy. I decided to just go with the white DRL and only connect the red lead and now one of the turn signal lights comes on when they are powered.

I’ve completely disconnected the DRL leads and turn signal wires and now my headlights and one turn signal come on with keyed power.

Is there an original DRL relay that may be compromised from this? There is one in the wiring diagram I found online but I can’t find it. Would any of you have any ideas where it might be or what else I can do?

TIA
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• IMG_4254.jpeg
    IMG_4254.jpeg
    330.8 KB · Views: 4

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you get a wiring diagram schematic? Guessing with electrics has a 50% chance of smoke, fire, or broken parts.
Did your truck have DRL from factory?
Do you have the factory OE service manuals, there in forum , search within for down load links.

Smitty Jr

Reaction score
No wiring diagram came with the lights - serves me right in buying them from eBay, I guess.
Yes, my truck came with DRLs from factory. They were the actual headlights though.
I don't have service manuals but will search the forum. Thank you!