led gauge cluster and horribly uneven illumination

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIG_1088

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey all

i have recently replaced my trucks gauge cluster lights with leds (the difference is astonishing) but the one problem i have encountered is that the illumination is horribly uneven, with a large dim spot in the speedometer and partially in the oil pressure gauge and water temp gauge

can anyone here give me an idea of what i can do to "even" the illumination out please? it's not that big of an issue and its real bothersome

heres a picture of the lighting

You must be registered for see images

if anyone could pitch in a solution that would be lovely, cause i need something to pass this quarantine and i can't go harass my friend so

thanks

-big

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
What kind of LEDs are you using? I have a set from V-LEDs that have a bulb on the end and four facing to the sides, and my cluster lights up great. There is a bit of a dimmer zone up towards the top of the speedometer, but it's barely notable unless you're looking for it.

oh wow, VLEDs doesn't even sell the style I got from them anymore.... heh. Well they look like these from SuperBrightLEDs anyway - And I use exactly these in my 03 Blazer's cluster and they work probably just as well as the ones in the Sierra. https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...ower-miniature-wedge-retrofit-95-lumens/2480/

You must be registered for see images attach

Svein

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never tinkered with the gauge cluster before, so this might not work, but could You fit a thin sheet of frost filter between the LED and the gauges? I work with lighting in the entertainment industry and we have all kin Dnb of different sorts of frost gels, less than 1mm thick.

Oh, and a question for you: does the dimmer work even though you switched to leds?

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Somewhat, but not really. The dimmer quit working entirely when I did the door, radio, and the other various dash switches in addition to the cluster.. Now it's either on or off. I'm intending to put in a PWM dimmer, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

BIG_1088

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of LEDs are you using? I have a set from V-LEDs that have a bulb on the end and four facing to the sides, and my cluster lights up great.

the leds i have are this exact same style

I have never tinkered with the gauge cluster before, so this might not work, but could You fit a thin sheet of frost filter between the LED and the gauges? I work with lighting in the entertainment industry and we have all kin Dnb of different sorts of frost gels, less than 1mm thick.

Oh, and a question for you: does the dimmer work even though you switched to leds?

my dimmer has not worked at all except for the stereo/hvac panel, and plus where can i pick up frost filter at?

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
I feel like the LED's are janky. I've put those LED's in all sorts of clusters and never had hot spots like that. I'd plug them into a socket you can see and make sure they're illuminating properly.

This is a pic of my 93 cluster with the same "360 degree" blue LED's

Svein

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
the leds i have are this exact same style

my dimmer has not worked at all except for the stereo/hvac panel, and plus where can i pick up frost filter at?

thats weird with the dimmer - my dimmer wheel does the entire dash. Which I would like to retain for nighttime driving - especially If I was to go LED. Thats why I was curious! :)

do a Amazon search for «rosco frost» and youll find tons of options. Id be happy to send You some different types from my office. But shipping from Norway is probably more expensive than a sample pack from amazon.. :(

dmhscorpion

Reaction score
I had the same issue. I just hit the over bright ones with a black Sharpie. It worked well...