leaky BTF diff cover from fill plug?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got this brand new BTF cover and its leaking from the fill plug. I tried putting black rtv on the fill plug threads and tightening it again with my regular 1/2 drive and hex socket but no luck/ I mean I might be able to go more with my big 1/2" torque wrench but I'd have to really be forcing it. The plug kinda has some notchy-ness when tightening, could be weld spatter in the threads. Im not sure what is going on, pretty crappy for a 130 dollar cover.

This is after a good 20 minute drive at about 55 mph.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yep I had a 9/16 hex socket

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
got the torque wrench and put it to 30 ft lb, if they dont work Im calling BTF

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
I've got the same cover, but I bought the "weld it yourself" version... Haven't popped the stock cover off yet, but I filled mine with water and it held, and I didn't even have the correct wrench for it.. I used a pair of pliers with electrical tape wrapped around em.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah when i first got it, i just matched up some random bolt head and put it on there by turning the bolt with pliers. I thought once I got the socket I would be good. I just put it to 30 ft lb. First time I've put a torque wrench on there but its the tightest its been and it felt good. I think it might have been hung up on a ball of weld spatter, so hopefully its alright now.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
Yeah when i first got it, i just matched up some random bolt head and put it on there by turning the bolt with pliers.

You just solved my problem for me of how to get torque on it... Gonna have to weld me together a big ass allen wrench. LOL

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea its kinda weird they didn't just make the plug a regular 1/2" drive or something. But it is a good looking cover, mine took a little over a gallon to fill.