Laying out a 3500 with a 6.5 diesel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

triumph_013

Reaction score
I've been wanting to get back into the bagged truck scene, and really wanting to do it with a full size crew cab chevy. Here recently a friend of mine priced his 94 crew cab diesel to me in my price range for a new project, so I started thinking about it. I took a look under the hood and may have spotted a couple issues with wheel clearance, the turbo and the power brake booster. I've been looking for some builds that may help me in this area, but I can't seem to find any with a 6.5 diesel. Can anyone point me to a similar build?

And before anyone tells me to stay away from the 6.5 diesel, I already know the issues with this engine and it's something else I have to think about.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
as far as the turbo you can swap to the center mount setup that vans, hummers and austrailia trucks use but that wont be cheap as i am pretty sure those need the 60* heads to bolt to, what kind of room do you need from the hydroboost??

96twodoor

Dark side of the moon
Reaction score
Theres a build on S10 forum oddly enough with bagged , body droppe
You must be registered for see images attach
d 6.5 . I highjacked all the pics I could of under the hood .

triumph_013

Reaction score
as far as the turbo you can swap to the center mount setup that vans, hummers and austrailia trucks use but that wont be cheap as i am pretty sure those need the 60* heads to bolt to, what kind of room do you need from the hydroboost??

Funny you mention that, there is a military Hummer in the parking lot of my shop with a blown engine. Could be a possible donor vehicle haha

Theres a build on S10 forum oddly enough with bagged , body droppe
d 6.5 . I highjacked all the pics I could of under the hood .

Looks like I was worrying too much about clearance, doesn't seem to be a problem. Can I have a link to that thread?

triumph_013

Reaction score
No problem!! The guy didnt bag it , just cleaned it up a little . You will probably need to register with S10 forum .
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/project-tow-pig-471091/

Already registered. My last bagged truck was an S10 haha. Thanks!

i sure wouldnt want to change glow plugs on that one, #8 is hard enough on a stock truck

Yeah, may have to figure out a way to make that a bit easier. Currently helping my step father out in his shop, and also working on my mechanical engineering degree. I've already decided that if I find myself in the automotive industry once I finish my degree, I will design something that is easy to be worked on! Ford seems to be majorly against this idea :/

MattyJ

Resident Nats fan
Reaction score
I love a slammed crew cab dually. helped do one a couple years ago, granted it had a 350 in it so that made it really easy lol. YOU SHOULD DO IT!!