L31 Valve Springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTOken

Reaction score
Has anyone cut their own valve spring seats on L31 heads? What tools will I need? I would like to find an LT1 or LT4 cam. Anybody got one? What springs will I need with one of those cams? Can I use my original pushrods? thanks.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't need to cut the seats at all. just run a different spring and retainer set to provide for the extra clearance. I used to run comp 26918 springs and 787 (I think thats the PN) retainers on stock L31 heads with my ZZ4 cam (which has .510 exhaust lift), and I never had any problems. the 26918/787 springs will provide room for around .550 lift. I've also heard of people using LT4 springs, and others but I don't know what combos are needed for those to work properly. the LT1 and LT4 cams don't come close to the ~.550 lift limit, so I see no reason you would need to cut your seats at all.

and as far as the pushrods go, every setup will vary and no one will be able to tell you for sure if the stock pushrods would be okay on a different cam or not over the internet. if you want long valvetrain life, you NEED to measure to get the correct length. get a pushrod measuring tool, and find out what size it needs after that cam is installed.

GTOken

Reaction score
By the time I buy the 26918 springs and retainers I will have spent over $200 maybe up to $250. I can buy the tools for probably $75 and then $50 or 60 for standard style springs and retainers. Im just trying to save a buck but still do it right. I have some different length adjustable pushrods for checking length. I figure if the base circle is the same and I don't get a valve job and use the same thickness head gaskets I can probably use the original pushrods if they are strong enough.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, you might be okay with the stock pushrods. just make sure to check the geometry.

I know a guy running stock LT4 springs and (i think) retainers with a over .500 lift cam on stock L31 heads, so there are other options out there if you don't want to do the 26918 or 26915 springs. I just don't know the specifics on those options. I also know Crane made some that work just like the 26918's but were less expensive, but I don't know their part # or if they're still available.

I've also heard of people using LS6 beehive springs with the comp retainers, but I don't know anyone personally who is running them. so I don't know for sure if they'd work

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's really hard fixing those components without the proper tools, I love working on engines when they are starting to bug down and solve the mystery that makes it run awfully.

What? I smell a spammer. get lost.

BigRedChvy355

Reaction score
If you're looking to save a buck, try the PAC1218's from Scoggin-Dicky, they're 122 plus shipping.

DblTap

Reaction score
LT1/LT4 cam with stock rods (new) and beehive springs will work like a champ. No additional headwork needed up to about 550 lift. Any more lift or high rev motors require screw/pin set at a minimum.